Looking back

Bucky's POV 9 AM later that morning

Softly groaning, Bucky rolled over onto his back and stretched out his right arm to bring Juno over into his side. But the spot where she was supposed to be was empty and cold as was the feeling in his chest when he remembers they were no longer together. Opening his eyes he confirmed that she was gone by turning his head to the side. His stomach clenches knowing that she left without waking him up to at least say goodbye before she hopped on a plane to put a whole ocean between them. Though, there on her pillow was a bright pink sticky note. Sitting up he reads it with mixed emotions.

Juno would do this when she needed to tell him something but words simply weren't enough. She would pick a song and write it along with the artist's name for him to listen to when he had the time. The first time she’d done it had been the very first day they officially met. Soon after Buck would regularly find post-its all around the Compound from her. Everyone knew they were from Juno to Bucky so they would leave them alone for him to find. When she began this little habit of hers Sam had teased him about them. That is until she had gotten everyone started on a playlist from her post-its recommendations or to him her hidden messages.

Laying back down he hugged Juno’s pillow to his chest to smell her shampoo and perfume left on it. This was really happening. Juno was gone for good. Bucky's heart felt like it was being torn out of his chest all over again to be tossed into a blender and ground down to mush. Leaning over the side of the bed he dug through his pants for his phone and pulled up the Spotify app Jun had installed on it for him. Typing the song in the search engine he pressed play and lay back listening as Sam Smith sang about his heartbreak and what he needed to do now without his lover. Hitting play again he listened to it one more time before he got up to get dressed and left.

::::::::

At the Compound 10:30 AM

Paying the cab driver Bucky defeatedly turned to head inside when he saw Steve sitting on one of the benches beside the front door. Not in the mood for a lecture about breaking his promise he ignored him. Steve of course followed behind him calling out for him to stop. "Buck–"

"Save it, Steve. She's gone and I really don't feel like talking right now." Pulling open the doors to the Compound he made his way inside intending to go back to his now empty apartment. Not one to give up lightly, Steve walked with him in silence. By the time they made it to the kitchen he'd been given death glares by several S.H.I.E.L.D. agents that were good friends with Juno. Sighing, Bucky kept his eyes forward. This hostility was nothing new for him to deal with.

When he had first arrived a lot of people didn't think he should be allowed to stay after what Hydra had made him do. It was because of Steve, but mainly Juno, that they had given him a chance. They were loyal to her and he understood that. Respected it. Jun had been here far longer than Bucky or anyone else on the team besides Natasha and Clint. He'd broken Juno's heart and drove her from her home; he deserved everything they threw his way. Steve steered Bucky over to a stool at the counter knowing that he hadn’t had breakfast yet just like he hadn’t been eating much of anything since Juno walked away. "Come on, Buck, you need to eat."

Allowing him to steer him over to a stool Buck sat there with his head hanging down with his eyes closed. Seeing his friend hurting, Steve quickly cooked up some basic scrambled eggs with toast and brought over two plates and went back to bring them over each a cup of coffee. Sitting next to him to make sure he ate. Mostly Bucky just drank the coffee. His appetite was almost down to nothing since Juno walked out four days ago. Besides not eating he hardly slept or left his apartment when he hadn’t been hunting her down to apologize and beg her to take him back. Last night was the first decent sleep he'd had all week and with Jun gone for good now he just didn't have it in him to try. What was the point? Pushing away his half-eaten plate Bucky held his head in his hands.