25 - No Longer Alone

Comincia dall'inizio

Tony took over the conversation, over at his own desk. His finger moving swiftly and efficiently over his own screen. "If we bypass their mainframe and direct to the Homer cluster we can clock this for around-"

"600 teraflops." Harlow quipped looking up from the sceptre, only for a second, jumping in to give them the number. Jumping at the chance to prove herself to them, and her.

"I knew that." Tony started, feeling the slight need to make it clear he wasn't needing to rely on a fifteen year old kid. "But good numbers." He complimented and gave Harlow a enthusiastic thumbs up.

"All I packed was a tooth brush." Bruce admitted with a light laugh. "I'll have to take it up with Nick if we end up here for a while."

"Ah Nick!" Harlow exclaimed, earning looks from the two genius men. "Just remembered I gotta go." She concluded as rushed out of the rooms.

Harlow walked down the hallway a little later, back in her tight and form fitting suit. Considering she was looking for Nick and he was so insistent on her wearing it, she figured it would be the best idea to put it back on. She left Bruce and Tony in the lab, claiming to return after dealing with whatever Nick wanted.

As she strolled through the very similar looking halls she let her hands run to her thighs. She sighed contently when she felt the knife and gun resting in their rightful place. It's placement was practical like it should be, rather than at Hogwarts when she has to hid it under all of her ridiculous uniform and strapped to her bare thigh.

Everything was just feeling better. She had only been in the Helicarrier and involved in the mess for a short period of time, but life was just fitting together. She had someone who knew who she truly was, it was only one person. But, one person she could force to listen to her. Harlow was finding out the truth of her life and was trying her best to piece the puzzle together in her mind.

Harlow came to her stop in front of a door. Not just any door, it was the door leading Nick's office. She rapped her knuckles on the door and awaited for some kind of answer. The reply came in the form of Nick soundlessly opening the door and stiffly gesturing for Harlow to enter the office.

She walked in the room, eyes scanning and taking it all in. Harlow almost snorted, but she managed to hold it in, at how bland and un-personalised Nick's office was. You would expect in someone's office they would have some prized or important items that were personal to them or even some family photos. But there was nothing. Plain walls, empty desks apart from paper work and completely clean furniture.

"So Nicky-" Harlow spoke, a teasing tone in her voice, as she lowered herself in one of the chairs opposite his desk. She leaned forward on it and laced her hands together.

"Hey- I let you away with calling me Nick. Don't push it!" Nick hollered with a small grin that quickly disappeared as soon as he remembered that he was in fact not alone.

Harlow's head snapped up to face his, her eyes wide with her jaw clenched. Her hand subtly reached for her gun and in a second she whipped her body around and aimed her gun at an empty spot on the couch in the back of the office.

"Harlow!" Nick exclaimed, failing to take her attention of what she was doing.

Her aim was locked on where she felt the energy signature was coming from and she was refusing to stand down, notably from her lack of trust. In a second the vacant couch soon showed a young blond haired girl. Her arms were shaking as she rose them above her head, trying to show her innocence without breaking down into to tears.