"If nothing else, I can be persistent when I want to be." A smug smirk edged onto my lips at managing such a feat.

"I don't even see anything out of place or hooked up wrong." She glanced at me. "This saved me at least an hour. Thank you very much."

"You're welcome, but I'd rather not do something like this again."

She smiled and went back to examining the layout. "That's kind of a hard request after seeing what an excellent job you did, but I'm hoping it won't be needed again."

Jess appeared in the doorway. "Nicky and Daniel went to bring us dinner. They'll meet us on top of the roof."

"Isn't it a bit early for dinner?" Nina asked.

"Daniel figured you needed a break to clear your head."

"I think we could all use a break," Nina replied. "Trinity already finished setting this up, so I'm ahead of schedule."

"Are you sure you're ahead? Especially after your latest attempt to tell time?" I retorted lightly.

"I expected to spend an hour setting things up in here, but now I don't have to, so I have one less thing to do. Let's go up to the roof. Some fresh air will probably help."

Considering her math and timelines still weren't adding up, I suspected she needed a break more than fresh air. But I knew she wouldn't stop one minute longer than we forced her to, nor would she consider going to bed before the sun set. Not when she was racing against time to produce as much of the cure as possible.

Luke must have heard us because he was waiting by the bottom of the stairs. There was no way to tell the Runner had worked down here most of the night and all afternoon. It was a striking contrast to Jess and Nina, who looked like they had been working frantically for several hours, which they had.

Ever the gentleman, Luke waved our two human companions ahead of him.

As we followed their slow pace, I asked Luke, "So, are you regretting your offer to work in the lab yet?"

"I don't think I'll ever regret it. The work I'm doing is very satisfying since I know it will help many people."

So much for my attempt to tease him. The contentedness in his voice made me glance at him as we went up the stairs.

"Why do I have a sneaking suspicion someone is going to be working in the lab most of the night?"

He grinned at me. "Someone has to ensure Nina and Jess don't try to sneak back down or work themselves too hard. Besides, I don't need much sleep, so this will help us get ahead of the game."

"Just make sure you don't burn yourself out."

"I'll be careful," he promised. "As you can see, I'm taking a break now. I'll also have to check my traps before sunset."

There was no point in mentioning sleep since he could go a day or two without sleep almost as easily as I could. He was also responsible enough that he'd grab a couple hours of shuteye.

We reached the roof before Daniel and Nicky did, although I heard the door down below open, so they weren't far behind. Nina and Jess sat down with less grace than I was used to seeing. Well, the way Jess flopped down into the camping chair with a groan, you'd have thought we made her hike for eight hours or something.

"I need different shoes if I have to stand on that tile floor all day," she said, using her feet to slide off the offending footwear and wiggling her toes.

"And some shoe deodorant," I observed, once more glad the zombie virus prevented me from being grossed out by the stench rising from her socks.

Jess made a face but took the hint and put her shoes back on. Although, judging by Nina's shallow breathing, the smell had already found its first victim to torment.