Wattpad Original

Chapter 33

By the time the next Stronghold came into view, there were only a couple of hours until sunset.

"We can stay the night at this place and leave early in the morning," Nina said. "If the guards know you're a sane zombie, they'll have no problems letting you outside the fence at night."

"I guess that'll work. After the last place, I suspect I'll be helping track people down, so it won't remain a secret for long."

"Is that a yes?" Nina asked tentatively. "I just don't want to say something if you didn't want them to know."

I sighed. "Yes. I plan on staying out most of the night, so they'll find out anyway. I'd prefer it if they didn't know, but I don't see that happening anytime soon."

Nicky yawned. "Great. That means you can help track people right away." When I raised an eyebrow at her, she grinned and said, "You have to admit your skills made things go faster at the last place. If we need something carried, we ask Daniel. If we need to cure people, we find Nina. If we need to track something by scent quickly, we come to you. And if we need people to hide, someone brings me a coffee. It's simple logic, if you think about it."

"Logic also says I don't go inside most buildings," I countered. "Daniel could be checking a lot of bedrooms."

"That could be our new method of searching if lots of people are infected," Nicky said, "although everyone should be inside the fence at this time of night."

If the people in this place behaved like they did in Ironwind, most of them would be relaxing outside and have more than enough time on their hands to gawk at any visitors.

We fell silent as we got closer to the gate. Like last time, there was an armed crowd waiting, and several people recognized Nina and Daniel. Even though Daniel's eyes were red, proclaiming him to be the dangerous creature he actually had the potential to be, a couple of the people in charge cheerfully welcomed us inside.

My instincts detested going into another den filled with a gaggle of strangers. We hadn't even parked before a number of curious onlookers lingered on the sidelines, which didn't exactly help settle my instincts.

Food must be the number one focus in hospitality, because we were promptly shown to the dining area. The locals had eaten, but they were eager to serve their guests. A dozen of them sat down with us to visit and hear what Nina had to say.

"Are you sure you don't want anything to eat?" one lady asked me again.

I shook my head as I declined their hospitality for the fourth time. "Thanks, but I'll pass. I'm not hungry at the moment."

"Let me know if you want anything." She wandered back into the kitchen.

Nina and Daniel talked with the locals about the upcoming wave while they ate, going into great detail about the drugs we had with us.

"-and there's at least a dozen infected here," Daniel said. "I'm probably going to need Trinity's help to locate all of them."

The leader nodded. "We'll be happy to show you around and help you find anyone you need to."

"I think we're all finished eating," Nina said, glancing at the empty plates. She asked the leader, "Do you want us to locate everyone now or in the morning?"

"Tonight is best. Some get up early and take the livestock out."

"We should get started then," I said, "but before we leave..." I stood up and walked along the table, behind the people sitting there.

The people watched me in confusion, unsure of what I was doing.

I paused beside a brown-haired man and took a quick sniff. "Looks like you get the honor of being first."