6 | Serious Discussion

Start from the beginning

". . . to my niece here."

Suddenly all eyes were on me and I avoided everyone's gaze by shrinking more into myself. If that was even possible.

"How?" Was all the Chief said in response, his tone holding perplexity.

My aunt then turned to my mom and dad as a way for them to bud in, and my mom boldly took the lead.

"Well, it's because of her quirk."

"She has a perception type," my dad added quite vaguely.

But the mere mention of it stunned the Chief into an awestruck silence. I had to glance up at him to make sure he was still with us.

"A p-perception type? Those are extremely hard to come by these days. And from what I hear, they only allow the person to see the future but they can't change anything. . . Is that what happened? You saw something and prevented it from happening?" He rambled to my parents before looking down at me with a glint of something in his eyes.

I realize in hindsight that glint meant that he saw the potential and the benefits my quirk had to prevent anything from happening. But my parents and aunt recognized it immediately and quickly shut down any ideas he had brewing in his mind.

"Our daughter can prevent these events from ever coming true, like what you witnessed earlier today. But she also has to live with seeing something we can only imagine," my dad began in a somber tone.

"And based on your reaction, you see her the way everyone else would when you learn about her quirk," my mom added in a less friendly tone while wrapping an arm around me.

She clearly hinted to the fact that I could be used.

"I apologize if my words may have offended you in some way. . ." Chief Akagi started in an apologetic tone.

"But you must understand that this kind of quirk. . . This kind of power your daughter possesses can help a lot of people. She could be an aid to Heroes and the HPSC here, or abroad, and save many lives. She could be an early warning system for natural disasters, unforeseen accidents, or literally anything and she can change it for the good of mankind. She has a responsibility with that quirk to help where she can," he finished in a more pragmatic tone.

My family was having none of it.

"We understand that. But she is our daughter, our child, and she should have a chance to enjoy her childhood. She should not have to spend every moment of her life from this point forward providing information for the world," my mom firmly countered.

"We know it may sound selfish or unreasonable to keep her from preventing incidents in our society, and possibly incidents in the world at large, but you can not sit there and say to me or my wife that our six and a half year old daughter has to carry the weight of the world on her shoulders," my dad backed her up with an unwavering resolve.

"They're right Chief. As much as I want to see more cases of incidents resolved before they can even occur, it wouldn't be considerate or ethical to burden my niece with such a huge responsibility. There's nothing to debate. I only wanted to explain how we averted that robbery earlier. Nothing more, nothing less," my aunty Midnight added while crossing her arms.

At this point, Chief Akagi seemed to have received the message. Key word being seemed as he sighed and looked down at the paperwork regarding said averted robbery. He then met my parents gaze once more.

"You don't know how hard this line of work is. . . Everyday there is something to stop or respond to and sometimes you wish you could get a little heads up beforehand. . . Every second counts. . ." He trailed with a heavy hearted tone.