chapter twenty one ╳ stimulations*

Start from the beginning

She takes my hand and walks us over to dad and places our hands in each others. "We've never went through life with a solid plan. Our guide has been love and trust. And quiet frankly, the only man I've seen Nia love and trust so much in life is you, Julian. But, she's found someone else to give that love and trust to. And who are we to stop her."

Mom sighs.

"I can't say I'm not concerned. For you, Nia. For us. As your mother it's my job to tell you how bad of an idea I think this is. But, since you take after your father, defiance is in your blood. The only difference is your a bit more respectful about it."

"I'm very respectful." Dad pouts.

We all glance and the tequila saturating the carpets and let out a collective laugh.

Dad pulls me into a hug, one that feels like he won't want to ever break.

"If he hurts you I get to say I told you so. And then I'll kill him." He whispers. I laugh through misty eyes. "Okay, Papa. I'll be sure to let you know if he does."

My mom dries my tears gently with her thumbs and fusses over my hair.

"I should go talk to him." I say quietly.

Reluctantly, my parents nod.

"Be careful." My dad says . "And tell that uppity french guy to bring more tequila."

I laugh as I open the door. "I will, Papa."

As I walk down the hall, my chest lifts with a bit of relief. I know everything isn't going to be this easy. There are a lot of things that need to be worked out, for my parent safety. But, at least they're okay for now.

I round a corner and run into Claude.

"Is everything alright Miss Castillo?" He asks.

"Yes, everything is fine Claude thank you. Although, my dad has requested more tequila."

Claude looks visibly stressed when I mention this, so I clarify. "Don't worry, he's alright now. Although, I should warn you that room is full of broken glass."

He doesn't look very much consoled at my response, but I continue on. "Where Angelo?" I ask.

"In the study down the hall." He points.

"Thank you, Claude." I say as I move further down.

"Broken glass? Mon dieu." I hear him whisper as I walk off.

The door to the study is slightly adjar, but I knock anyway. A tired, "come in" sounds from inside. The heavy door creaks as I open it.

"Hi." I say quietly when I see Angelo.

He looks eerily calm, reading over files and logs scattered across a desk. But, his eyes brighten when he sees me, moving around the desk to pull me into his arms.

"God, Sugar. I don't know what why I said all that. I sounded so selfish, I'm sure your father will kill me."

I laugh and hug him back. "Don't worry. He still hates you, but he's open to not killing you."

"What a relief." Angelo replies sarcastically. "How are you feeling?"

"Okay." I answer honestly. "I talked with my parents and they're worried of course, but open-minded. And that's all we can really ask for."

"I'm glad. I don't think I could have given you up otherwise."

"Neither could I." I look up into his dark eyes and watch them spark in the morning sunlight that streams through the curtained window.