chapter one ✕ dates & disasters

𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐥𝐲𝐧, 𝐧𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐨'𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐚𝐦

𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐥𝐲𝐧, 𝐧𝐲
𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐨'𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐚𝐦

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀
[unedited]

There's something about blasting tejano music at 8 am while you clean that's almost therapeutic.

  Of course, my neighbors likely don't appreciate it. But, it helps me clean faster and I don't like cleaning so any boost I can get, I gladly take.

  By the time I finish moping the kitchen, my phone rings. I wouldn't have heard it over the music if I didn't see the screen flashing.

  I answer it without looking at the caller ID, turning down the music before I do.

"Hello?"

"Nia, hey."

"Aoife? It's been a minute! How've you been?"

  It's been almost a year since I left Aoife in London. She still had my end of the rent covered for the few months I was supposed to leave. When I told her I wasn't coming back, it still gave her plenty of time to find a new roommate. We've still been keeping in contact though.

  "All good here, can't really complain." I hear shuffling in the other end, as if she doing some sort of busy work. "But guess what?"

I mock gasp. "You're pregnant?"

  Aoife laughs on the other end. "Absolutely not. I got a promotion."

"What? Finally! God, I was wondering when they were going to recognize your talents." I laugh. "What position did they bump you up to?"

"Assistant manager. Now all I need to do is murder the current manager and they'll have no choice but to promote me again."

  I laugh at her words. I'm pretty sure she's kidding, but I never know with Aoife.

  "I genuinely worry for the safety of everyone around you sometimes."

"As you should."

  We chuckle.

"Anyway, I have to head to out. Just wanted to let you know the news first. I've got errands to run. Not including murder."

   "You're insane."

"That's why you love me."