chapter two ✕ car rides & scarred tides

𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐥𝐲𝐧, 𝐧𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐩𝐦

𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐥𝐲𝐧, 𝐧𝐲
𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐩𝐦

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀
[unedited]

My first instinct is to slam my door, intending to lock it behind me and call the police.

But I'm not fast enough. Valentin's goons are quick to block the door from closing. One keeps it open and the other reaches for me, wrapping his arm around my chest and placing a hand over my mouth to muffle my screaming.

The three step in and close the door. All I can do is struggle against the powerful grip of the man.

"I'm not here to hurt you, Nia." Valentin promises, looking me in the eye.

I stare back, letting him know through eye contact alone that I don't believe his bullshit.

"As much as I don't deserve it, I have a favor to ask. And it has to do with Angelo."

Unwittingly, I cease my struggle at the sound of that name.

I watch Valentin carefully. He looks over at the man holding me.

"If I tell him to let you go, can I trust you'll hear me out."

I nod.

"Libérez-la." Valentin orders.

Slowly, the mans grip on me loosens.

I hold up my end of the deal and stand quietly, arms folded.

"What do you want?" I ask.

"Redemption." Valentin says, cynically. "As if I deserve it."

"I could care less about your inferiority complex, Valentin. What are you asking me to do?"

He sighs and sits down on the couch, running a hand through his hair.

"I wanted revenge at first." He starts, quietly. "Petty revenge against Angelo for his acts against me. When the Delafonse family came to me I didn't know what I was getting into. That night in Naples, at the party, Cédric told me to trap you all. I didn't realize he wanted to harm you."

"You could've stopped." I scoff.

"They threatened me. My family." He says, standing abruptly. "I had no choice."