chapter twenty ╳ love riots

A quiet beep echoes somewhere far off. The sound grows closer as I pull myself further into consciousness. The beeping gets stronger and a bit faster as my eyes flutter open.

Bright light immediately prompt me to shut my eyes again. I move slightly, a dull pain radiating through my back as I do. I let out a pained groan, finally letting some light in.

  "Nia?" A voice whispers gently. "Are you awake?"

I let my eyes open fully, adjusting to the brightness. A blurry figure stands above me and as my vision clears, I recognize it as Andrea. I'm in what looks like a normal bedroom. Bandages run across my arms. I've been dressed in a long cotton shirt and pants. There's no more beeping. Maybe I imagined it.

"What happened?" I ask hoarsely.

  A panic fills me as I remember almost instantly.

"Where are my parents?" My voice shakes.

Andrea takes my arm and gently eases me. "They're okay, Nia. They're getting treated as we speak. The blast knocked you out for a while, and besides a few small burns, everyone is okay."

"And where's Ang-"

  Before I can get out another question, the door of the room opens. Angelo enters, blurry eyes and a bit frazzled. He huffs deeply as if he's been running. His bare chest is padded with gauze in certain areas.

   He smiles when he sees me.

"Hi, Sugar."

I return the smile and sit up to reach out for him. He's quick to reciprocate the gesture, coming close and pulling me into a warm hug. I breath his scent deeply, the calming evergreen of his aftershave.

"How are you feeling, baby?" He asks, softly.

"I'm alright. Is everyone okay?"

He nods as we finally separate.

  "Thanks for keeping an eye on her." Angelo says to Andrea, throwing her his best attempt at an appreciative smile. I can tell he's still apprehensive, but he's trying.

  "Of course. I'm sure I won't hear the end of it if something happened to her under my supervision." Andre jokes lightly and we all share a laugh.

  "I'll leave you two alone then. Armando doesn't have a dotting lover to check on him, so I guess he'll have to settle for a concerned sister." Andrea gives me a wink as she closes the door behind her, the click of her heels fading down the hall.

The minute she's gone, Angelo cups me face and kisses me. With a heavy sigh, I drink up every bit of the passion he gives in that kiss.

I giggle as his stubbles tickles my cheek, and Angelo makes it worse by nuzzling his face into my neck.

  "I'm never letting you leave my sight now, you know that right?" He says, adjusting our bodies so that I lean against his chest.

  "You better not." I retort. "Or I'll hunt you down myself."

"I don't doubt you would."

  "I'm glad you know me well enough to say that."

  A knock sounds at the door. Angelo stands, and walks over to open it only enough for him to see through, at first.

  "Hello, sir." Claude voice says from the other side.

"Hey, Claude. What's wrong?"

  "Mr and Mrs Castillo are both awake. And rather agitated. We're having trouble calming them." He explains.