Chapter 25 - We should talk, Dante

Start from the beginning

Raphael saw Dante's fingers reach for the backside of his waist and instantly leaped forward, gripping his elbow before Dante could retrieve his gun. He shoved the man aside, tightly gripping Dante's chin and lifting his head for their gazes to meet. And when Dante saw the flames behind Raphael's eyes, he knew he had messed up terribly. "We're leaving," he hissed harshly, a venomous tone as if poison was laced in his voice. "You better not cause any more scenes."

Dante wasn't afraid of Raphael, but oh boy did his demeanour instantly change. The rage in his face fell, as if his entire body had gotten rid of the alcohol in mere seconds, sobered up instantly for a few minutes. Raphael gave him a head start towards the door with a shove, irritated that Dante's drunken self would have really brandished his gun and threatened to shoot Nate in the middle of a bar. He always did dumb stuff when he didn't want to admit what he was feeling, but never had he almost done something of the sort.

Nate didn't budge, realizing what had almost occurred. It was only when he heard over his shoulder, "We're leaving," that he was startled and began making his way to the exit, following behind them. Would Dante really have shot him if Raphael hadn't been there? Another stinging in his chest, which he didn't understand why he felt those. He was absolutely certain he had no feelings whatsoever for Dante, why would he?

Dante was an arrogant asshole, not to mention an actual assassin, maybe mafia leader of some sort. He didn't care about anyone but himself, other than Raphael, and he condescended upon everyone that wasn't made of a mirror. There was nothing from him that was appealing, other than his looks of course.

Nate gulped, biting his bottom lip as he made his way to the passenger seat beside Raphael. Even though everything pointed to his hate for Dante, as he eyed Raphael talk to him sternly before shutting the door, having taken the gun Dante had and shoved it at his waist, Nate realized that he had actually missed Dante.

The start of the drive had been quiet, none of them saying a word, rather listening to the frequent puffs of Raphael as he exhaled his cigarette smokes.

Until Raphael spat, "Speak!"

They both heard Dante shuffle across the backseat, laying his head down. "I have nothing to say to him."

Nate noticed from the corner of his eye the glare he received from Raphael when he didn't respond for the next few minutes. He exhaled a long sigh, glancing over his shoulder to see Dante with his eyes closed, his lips slightly parted as he breathed softly, appearing to be asleep.

Nate swallowed hard, folding his arms over his chest before he said, "Look, that night meant something to me too, Dante."

There was a short pause, Dante not responding right away. His eyes remained closed, letting the silence sit for a moment to a point that Nate felt a bit nervous. However, when he did respond, it wasn't addressed to Nate.

"Where are we headed?"

Raphael glanced over his shoulder; he hadn't really decided but he needed Dante to have a chat with Nate since that was what had been obviously bothering him. Dante was stubborn and had the emotional intelligence of a teenager, but he, like every other human being, felt certain emotions that were better to be shared than bottled in oneself.

"To his apartment." When he saw Dante's gaze widen, he spat, he narrowed his eyes at him through the rear view mirror. "You're spending the night at his place."

"What?" They both said in unison, Nate quickly turning his face to eye Raphael who exhaled an annoyed sigh. There was no way he would be able to take care of a drunken Dante on his own.

"He'll..." Nate gulped, leaning towards Raphael and whispering, "He'll kill me."

The reaction from Raphael didn't help at all; he began laughing, "He won't kill you...at least I don't think so."

"I just might," they heard Dante hiss, folding his arms as he sat up in his seat.

Nate widened his arms, desperate that this idea was changed. "He almost killed me at the damn bar in front of everyone!"

There was a short silence, Raphael eyeing Nate for a few seconds before his eyes diverted to the road. "You know, maybe he will, he's still a learning progress after all..."

"What the hell?!" Nate exclaimed, attempting to open the door but realizing it had child's lock. "Let me out of here!"

Raphael shrugged his shoulders, leaning back in his seat with a straight face. "You wouldn't be the first person he killed anyway."

"But you were boasting in the bar right?" Dante raised an eyebrow challengingly, leaning forward and bringing his face between the seats, seeing an uneasy Nate push himself away, his back slammed against his passenger door. Dante licked his upper lip, as if he was imagining how he would devour him. What did you say again? Big bad Dante can't even kill me, someone he met a week ago?" Nate's breath was stuck in his throat.

After a wink, Dante leaned back in his seat, "We'll see about that."

Nate glanced towards Raphael for help, but Raphael acted as if he hadn't heard him, even whistling a short tune, acting distracted. He had no protection this time and he swallowed hard, not wanting to even glance over his shoulder since it made him worry even more. Just thinking about being alone with Dante made him scratch the side of his neck; would Dante really try to kill him? He had spoken pretty rough at the bar, but it was merely because there were multiple people around. Now that he would be alone and Dante was drunk, there was no guarantee on what would happen.

The moment they parked outside the apartment, Dante exited the car and began heading inside while Nate stayed seated a bit longer.

Sadly, Raphael wasn't one with any patience, and he hissed, "Get out or I'll kill you myself," which startled Nate who raced outside, closing the door behind him.

Nate was too late for the elevator and waited for it to return before pressing his floor. When the elevator doors opened, he paused for a moment when he heard from down the hall. "What the fuck are you doing here?" It wasn't Dante's voice that had said that though and that made Nate's skin begin to crawl. "I said, what are you doing here?!" Andrew shouted again in Dante's face.