Chapter Two

Wolfkit continued to crouch in front of Lightstar, Falconkit's trembling pressed against hers. She finally forced herself to look up into her leader's eyes and was surprised to see interest, even respect, in their amber depths.

"I have a feeling you will make a valuable MemoryClan warrior one day, Wolfkit. And with Falconkit at your side, you'll be a very dangerous team."

Wolfkit's fur glowed from the praise and Falconkit's deep blue eyes gleamed.

"We won't let you down, Lightstar!"

"Wolfkit! Falconkit!"

"Uh-oh."

Wolfkit murmured. Falconkit looked at her sharply.

"You said your mother knew what we were doing!"

Crystalwhisker was stalking toward them, her tail flicking in annoyance.

"I said you could explore the apprentice den and elders den only, not-oh!"

The ginger-and-white she-cat stopped when she saw the kits crouching before Lightstar. Crystalwhisker dashed over and dipped her head to the leader.

"Lightstar, did they disturb you?" She asked, shooting a stern glance at her daughter.

"Not at all, Crystalwhisker." Lightstar assured her, blinking warmly at the queen. "I was just on my way to Highoak when Wolfkit caught me off guard. She has the makings of a wonderful warrior!"

Crystalwhisker's eyes shone with pride and she lapped at her chest fur as if she was embarrassed.

"Thank you, Lightstar."

"How is everything in the nursery? I've never seen it so full!"

Lionstripe had given birth to Foxkit and Sparkkit two moons ago, making the nursery more stuffy and crowded than it already was.

"Everything is perfect. Although, it will be a relief when our six oldest kits are apprenticed!"

Falconkit's shoulders slumped and Wolfkit fought the urge to hiss at her mother. She couldn't imagine leaving Falconkit to become an apprentice and training for a whole moon without her. Lightstar nodded thoughtfully and mewed,

"I'm about to start the warrior ceremonies for the apprentices. Perhaps Wolfkit and Falconkit would like to watch, so they'll be ready for their apprenticeship ceremonies?"

Falconkit and Wolfkit looked at each other eagerly.

"I don't know. . ."

Crystalwhisker started doubtfully. The two kits jumped around her paws, begging,

"Please! Please! We promise we'll be good!"

"Okay. You'll have a good vuew over there."

Crystalwhisker gave in, pointing with her tail at a small sandy clearing shaded by a young, skinny maple tree.

"Yes, Crystalwhisker!"

Tails bushed up with excitement, Wolfkit and Falconkit bounded over to the clearing. They watched as Lightstar leaped onto a thick leafless branch near the bottom of Highoak and yowled,

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather around Highoak!"

Mudspeckle and the other queens peered out of the nursery with their kits gathered around their paws, while bleary-eyed warriors stumbled out of the hollow trunk of an oak tree nearby.

That must be the warriors' den. Wolfkit thought.

Two elders walked over from where they were sunning themselves and Daisyleaf pushed her way through a wall of ivy at the bottom of Highoak. To Wolfkit's surprise, she was followed by Foxkit.