Kassian shrugs. "Yeah, you're right." He nods at me, his biceps flexing as he drops his arms to grip onto the sofa. "I didn't like you in the beginning because I was fretful of what had happened in the past when I stupidly let rogues go. You were so aggressive and spiteful, why would I have trusted you?"

I mean he wasn't wrong... I was a total bitch as soon as I stepped foot in this house. He had every reason to hate me, especially when I would give him backchat and allow my attitude to get the better of me.

"But your determination to get out, your poisonous tongue was enough to get you into serious trouble. You ran my patience so thin that I wanted nothing more than to get rid of you, I've never had someone speak to me the way that you did." His voice is confident. "Things could have ended badly for you."

"But it didn't," I mumble quickly. "You could have killed me, but you didn't. Why?"

He flicks his eyes between mine slowly, his mind concentrating deeply on what he was about to say. "I don't know," he breathes out sharply, my eyes blink in response. "Well I do know but at the time I'm surprised I didn't. I was so angry and frustrated, I make irrational decisions when I'm mad."

"Are you glad you didn't?" I snap harshly.

"Yes," he nods.

"Then what changed your mind?"

His bottom lip tucks its way in between his teeth as he looks down to the floor and then back up to me. "When I saw your determination during our flight, when you looked out for Hope, when you suffered in pain to find out where your mother was." He pauses for a moment.

My heart rattled in my chest aggressively waiting for him to carry on. "That's when I saw a different side to you, you were selfless, courageous and brave. Unlike a lot of female wolves who stay behind their mates and let them do all the nasty work."

"Don't belittle Nella and Hope like that," I find myself defending them, the fire in my belly erupting again.

"I was talking generally, female wolves in general," he clarifies. "Nella and Hope are good wolves, they get involved. But they don't have the qualities that you do. You don't take shit from anyone."

"You mean because I can stick up for myself?" I smirk lightly.

I shouldn't have been enjoying this as much as I was but seeing Kassian so soft made me feel liberated. He was soft because of me, because of how I perceived myself to him and I fucking loved it.

"Because you have true leader instincts," his eyes narrow on mine. "You have a mouth that needs washing out with soa--"

"I know," I cut him off. "You already threatened to wash it for me."

Kassian snorts quietly and shakes his head. "You might talk like you were raised in the mafia but you're not afraid of being stuck in with all the action, you fend for yourself. I don't think I've ever sensed fear from you, and I can read people well."

For a moment I stay silent, Kassian's eyes watching carefully. "But maybe this isn't me." I tell him quietly.

"What do you mean?"

"The curse," I state simply. "I'm not usually like this."

"What... you mean an ass?"

I narrow my eyes towards him. "Maybe."

"Then tell me what the real Cleo is like," he demands strongly.

"You really wanna know?"

"Try me."

My mouth parts to exhale a breath as I pace again. "I guess I've always been quiet, probably because my mother controlled my dad, controlled the pack. I just did whatever she said because I knew how strong her powers were."