Chapter Five

SERAYAH MCClain || June 15th 2019.
Downtown Chicago, Aunt Viv Diner

"Kiara and Serayah y'all could go ahead and clock out" Aunt Vivia came over to the front counter and said.

I stood up from the stool, sighing in relief. Me and Kiara have been working none stop and it was time we got a break. Aunt Viv really doesn't play when it comes down to working, which is ghetto.

"Thank God for answering my prayers" Kiara jumped up, throwing her hands in the air.

"I know y'all want to go out and get ready for that big-eyed boy party he throwing tonight" Aunt Viv said.

"How do you know about that ma? And his name is Durk" Kiara laughed.

"You've been talking about it for the pass hour. Now gone clock out, I worked y'all enough" she waved us off.

Heading that, me and Kiara didn't hesitate to run and clock out before leaving. You'll think we was getting chase, on how fast we left.

"Now I gotta go down to the hair shop and beg Ymeeka to do something to my hair" Kiara said, starting up the car.

I pulled out my phone and plugged my phone up to the aux cord. I clicked on my playlist and played the song 'You're making me High' by Toni Braxton.

My mind immediately wandered off on Von. I haven't seen or talked to him since the day we chilled at his spot which was 3 days ago. I know I did the most when he told me he was a murderer, but I didn't expect him to tell me that.

I really had no reason being mad. I should have known he killed somebody. I mean he's a hood guy and that's what they do out in the streets to survive. Kill, rob, and sell dope.

"Rah what do you know about this?" Kiara asked, glancing at me. I guess she caught on to the song being kind of freaky.

"Not you thinking I don't know 90s R&B chile" I laughed, shaking my head.

Just because we moved to Beverly and my parents changed, doesn't mean my taste in music wasn't immaculate.

"Ion know now, you know your dad is a minister and he doesn't allow any of that devil music in y'all house" she said, making me scoff and roll my eyes.

I don't see my dad as a real minister, I don't care how hard he's tried. I know the real him!

Kiara parked the car on the side of the road. I looked out the window seeing we were at the hair shop on 65th.

"I just hope her crazy ass do my hair" she mumbled, opening the car door and stepping out.

I stayed in and watched her walk off because I didn't want to go inside and have all those people looking in my face. It's so weird, plus all they do is talk about people in hair shops anyways.

"Rah what are you doing?" Kiara turned around and asked, realizing that I didn't get out of the car.

"I'm going to wait on you duh" I said, smacking my lips.

"No come in, I need you to help me pick out a color for my nails. They do some of everything in there" she said.

Sighing, I opened the car door and got out. We still have on our work clothes which are uncomfortable. She grabbed my arm and dragged me inside. The aroma of jam and nail polish instantly hit my nose.

I looked around to see it was really small up in this shop and everyone was mushed together. This screamed unprofessional, especially how everyone just stopped what they were doing to stare at us.