Chapter One

SERAYAH McCain || June 7th 2019.
Chicago Illinois, Parkway Gardens

"Serayah, sweetie we're finally here" the sound of my mother's soft rousky voice jolts me out of my sleep

I sat up in my seat and wiped the sleepiness out of my eyes before looking out of the window. We were here in Chicago, Illinois.

The place I'll be staying at over the summer. My aunt Vivica had called my mom and told her it'll be a pleasure if I stay with her so me and my older cousin Kiara could bond again.

This will be my first time seeing her in 11 years. Yeah I know pretty long, but if you knew our family history, then you'll know it was a reason why we all parted ways.

My parents and I of course moved to Beverly Hills LA, while aunt Viv moved here to Chicago, and the others stayed back in Philly.

The city we're all originally from.

"Serayah sweetie did you hear me?" my mother asked, turning around in her seat to face me.

"Yes ma'am" I smiled, nodding my head. I could sort of tell that she knew I was nervous.

I mean seeing someone after 11 years is a bit scary. I know I was young back then, but I knew exactly what was going on.

"Sweetie there is no need to be nervous, you're aunt and cousin are dying to see your pretty face" she reached over and pinched my cheeks.

"Don't you think you're forcing her?" my dad asked "I mean you clearly see our daughter doesn't want to be down here in this disaster place and here you are making her" he scolded.

As you could see my dad is not too pleased with me coming to stay down here in Chicago for the summer, he was actually against it.

He says this place would only cause harm to me since Chicago is one of the most dangerous places in the state. The crime rates go up almost every month.

"I'm not forcing her to do anything. She wanted to come down here and I'm making it happen" My mom retorted.

"Well I'm going to ask her just for clarity. Pumpkin, are you sure this is where you want to be?" he asked, looking out the window at the neighborhood in disgust.

He's a high class minister who looks down on people that are beneath him. Crazy right? Yeah I know. He shouldn't be judging or looking down on anyone.

Ain't that's what the bible says? I swear everyone in the church that claims their Holy and Sanctified be frauds and my dad is one of them. He has been this way ever since we moved to Beverly.

The white rich people sucked him into that mentality. My mother wasn't down with him or his actions, but she loves him so much, she'll do anything to stay with him.

"Yes dad I'm sure" I said, clearing my throat.

I'm 18 years old now and I can make my own decisions. I was tired of being down there in Beverly Hills, this was just the place to come to.