2. Maha (2 Years Ago)

Hino Matsunaga was not a nice person. I told him everything I knew and he didn't have the decency to apologize for his mean tone, harsh words, or aggressive actions. All of which had been unwarranted and uncalled for. I didn't deserve to be treated like that. No one did but something told me that was his default setting. Hino didn't care about anybody's feelings. He was cruel and demeaning. He was a bully.

I swore to never be alone with him again. Unfortunately, my parents had other plans. I was told to leave the family villa after summer school and move into the condo with Khaleel. Papa wanted me to be closer to Jackheights. It was a long commute traveling to the middle school branch last year. I stressed over seeing Hino so much that I caught a fever. My body wasn't frail—it had been put through hard labour when my other papa was around. Hino's hold on me was just that strong. The thought of looking into those eyes again made me feel like a flower in bloom, ready to be plucked and unrooted for his amusement.

I felt bad taking over the second bedroom. It belonged to Kumar Uncle. My family wasn't related to him by blood and neither was Khaleel's but that didn't matter. Kumar Uncle helped raise Khaleel. He did his best to keep an eye out for him. Kumar Uncle jokingly passed the responsibility to me but I took the baton seriously. Khaleel stayed out of trouble most days but who knew how quickly things could change with his unpredictable temper? Mama had found Khaleel the day he went missing and brought him home, but no one really talked about why he ran away. I didn't have the nerve to rock the boat either.

I dreaded Jackheights Academy and orientation. Nonetheless, I had to go. Mama made a whole day out of it by asking Khaleel to become our private tour guide. Yumna tagged along because she wanted to spend time with her new favourite sibling. I was the only one in the dumps about the whole thing. For good reason but I couldn't voice my concerns out loud. What would be the point? I had already asked mama and my new papa if I could attend a different school but the answer was always no. The Abdul family had invested a lot of time and energy into Jackheights Academy—the prestigious private school had a very low graduation rate, which meant receiving a diploma from its administration would indefinitely secure my future.

Khaleel was supposed to meet us in the school foyer at two o'clock but he never showed. I perked up. My mom, little sister, and I could enjoy a self-tour then go home for some much needed R&R. Luck, however, was not on my side. Khaleel sent mama a text saying his replacement should be arriving shortly. I felt a headache coming on. It was like a part of me knew without having to ask who this person was going to be.

Hino Matsunaga showed up in his indigo soccer uniform before I could tell mama I wanted to go home. "Sorry, I'm late." His smile was so big and sweet, I almost mistook it for sincerity.

"Not a problem," Mama replied. "Thank you for taking time out of your day for us."

Hino gently ruffled the top of Yumna's head. "My pleasure. Looks like the whole gang's here today, huh?"

"Not Khaleel," Yumna pouted.

Hino reached into his uniform pocket and pulled out a brownie square sealed in plastic wrap. He looked determined to win my sister over. "I hear you like chocolate, Yumna."

"Who doesn't like chocolate?" Yumna asked.

Hino handed her the brownie with another wholesome smile then he was back to ruffling the top of her head. I couldn't believe it; this sweet and considerate person couldn't be the guy I met at the condo. He couldn't be the boy who threatened to make my high school life a living hell—the boy who said he would go out of his way to make me feel alone and miserable. Hino's sunny eyes found me. My heart sparked like a match. Warmth. He exuded so much warmth, I felt like I was going to melt in his presence.

I followed him around campus because I had to, not because I wanted to. His scary impression was still on me and I wasn't going to be tricked into falling for his act. I decided to keep quiet and observe from the sidelines. I watched him sweet talk with mama and Yumna as we moved through the first floor to the second. I was patient and waited for him to break character, to reveal his true self, but he didn't. Not once. He was so good at playing the part that I began to question myself.

It wasn't nice to judge someone based on one meeting. His best friend had gone missing the night we met. He was probably only mean to me because he was desperate to find Khaleel. After making excuses for him, I decided to start over with Hino. It was the mature thing to do. I took his advice to heart when he said I shouldn't access the atrium as a freshman. I nodded along when he said I should make connections with the student council if I was interested in pursuing a career in politics. I even thanked him for giving me a list of teachers who would make good references after graduation.

Hino showed off the student council room in the basement. I had to admit it was a very spacious and impressive space. It was fully furnished with everything a high school administrator and event planner might need. My interests were in science and math but I was happy to see all academic departments at the academy.

"I need to pee," Yumna announced. I shook my head at her shameless declaration. There were some details she shouldn't share with the class.

"Me too," Mama added.

"There are bathrooms on the first floor," Hino offered, leading us out of the student council room. "Please take your time. Maha and I will wait for you by the art wing."

My heart shuddered in warning. It was almost as if it knew better than me not to be left alone with him but I decided to ignore it. I wanted to use this opportunity to apologize for how things escalated at the condo. I hoped he would do the same. Then we could forgive each other and start anew.

"Thank you," Mama said, taking Yumna's hand. "We won't be too long."

"We won't be long!" Yumna repeated, getting Hino to attentively wave at her.

Meanwhile, my anxiety sky rocketed thinking about how to confront a possible bully. Calm down, I told my meek heart. Don't panic. Do. Not. Panic. I looked up to organize my chaotic thoughts. My focus abruptly shifted from the soccer prodigy to the beautiful ceiling tiles. They were painted over with colourful soft pastels. I wasn't a creative person by any means but even I could tell that someone had put a lot of hard work into these vivid pieces.

"Hino," I gasped, pointing at a floral tile that sparkled under the fluorescents. No response. I was so mesmerized by the shapes and textures of the piece that I forgot who I was dealing with for a second. That didn't discourage me in the slightest.

"It's so pretty!" I went on, knowing full well I was probably talking to myself. "Gosh, I wish I could make something like this."

Complete silence. I turned to find my tour guide inches behind me with another brownie in hand. As I watched him unwrap the plastic, the warmth faded from his eyes and cooled into ice. I shouldn't have engaged. I shouldn't have said anything but I was looking for reasons to retract my initial impression of him. He couldn't be all bad. There had to be a good bone somewhere on that lean and athletic body.

"W-What is it—"

Hino slipped the treat into my mouth. "We've talked a lot today, Koneko," he deadpanned. "Let's enjoy some peace and quiet before we continue this charade."

I couldn't enjoy the taste of dense chocolate because my knees were about to give in. The air in my lungs thickened and my chest weighed like a ton of bricks. Hino's intense gaze imprinted on me when he leaned in, his fingers on the other end of the brownie. "Bite down," he instructed.

My pulse raced. My stomach fluttered. What was this strange feeling? How did he make my heart ache with uncertainty and intrigue? What part of my sick and twisted brain was he peering into that I wanted to submit to his ridiculous demand? My eyes pleaded for mercy but it was a futile attempt. I didn't have enough strength to refuse him or the dessert.