Chapter Eighteen

Amy's P.O.V

"It all started when we all went to this baseball game in Chicago," I say focusing on the ground as I try to explain to Ben all of what happened, "I had been begging my parents all day to take me to the store so I could get a new charger for my phone. I had broken the tip earlier on the ride there so my charger wouldn't work anymore.

"My dad said that we could just wait to do it after the baseball game but I was relentless. I guess you could say that I could be sort of a spoiled brat back then. Finally he gave in and we took a drive over down by that one mall downtown. My parents decided to come in with me because my mom wanted to buy one of those I heart Chicago cases or whatever, my mom was weird like that I guess.

"It was a few weeks after Brandon and I had first started dating so mom and dad told me I could bring him along to Chicago with us. So Brandon and I had wandered off into one of the other isles. That's when we heard gun shots. We ran up to the front of the store to find my mom lying on the ground and my dad wrestling with some dude that had a gun.

"Fuck," Ben mumbles giving me puppy eyes.

"I'm not done," I say as I continue the rest of my story, "Brandon ran over to my mom and I tried to run over and help out my dad. I guess Brandon and I could've thought that decision through a little better and done things the other way around but we weren't thinking straight.

"So we were fighting over the gun and somehow I ended up with my finger on the trigger. i pulled it without realizing it and my dad collapsed. The other guy shoved me down and ran out of the shop. By the time we got to the hospital dad had lost a lot of blood. He was in a coma for two weeks and they said that he wasn't getting any better. After another week or so they declared that he would never wake up and we had to pull the plug."

Somewhere in the middle of my long monologue I started crying and Ben wrapped his arms around me. Yes, I basically killed both of my parents. They wouldn't have even had to be in that electronics place had it not been for me. Worst of all they didn't even find the guy who did it, they said that usually crimes like these went unsolved anyways.

I lost both of them all for a freaking charger.

"I killed them," I say sobbing into Ben's chest.

"No you didn't," Ben says hugging me tighter to his chest and setting his chin on top of my head, "it's not your fault."

"But I pulled the trigger," I whisper loud enough for only me to hear.

And it's true. It's my fault because I pulled the trigger. In any other scenario it would be called manslaughter, but the police wouldn't say anything like that around me. The definition of manslaughter is: the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder. So basically killing someone without the intention of doing so. That's what happened with my dad. But even though it wasn't intentional it is definitely still my fault, I still killed him.

I shove myself away from Ben and start walking away from him. I was stupid to have told him that.

"I'm sorry," I say walking faster while wiping my cheeks with the palms of my hands, "I know you probably didn't intend coming to the beach to listen to my sob story."

"Amy," Ben says but I ignore him and keep walking. "Amy!" Ben yells grabbing my arm and yanking me around so that I'm facing him.

"I'm really not that bad of a guy," he says tilting my chin up with his finger so that I'm looking right into his eyes, "and believe it or not I really do care about you..."

Ben trails off and we both stare at each other for a few seconds, and for some reason when he leans in I don't back away.

In fact I just shut my eyes.