Swimming Lessons - Mikan X Aoi & Mahiru (short)

Request

Aoi paced back and forth in front of the girls changing room door. Everyone else was out and swimming already, but her girlfriend was nowhere to be seen. Knowing how accident-prone Mikan was, Aoi decided that it would probably be a good idea to check on her. She went back into the changing room.

"Mikan?" She called quietly.

"O-over here..." Mikan replied with a whimper.

Aoi turned a corner to see Mikan sitting on a bench between two rows of lockers, having not changed at all, tugging at the bandages on her arm.

Aoi sat down beside her. "Hey, cupcake, are you alright?"

Mikan's eyes were focused on the floor. "I can't do this, Hina. I'm sorry."

"What do you mean? Hey, look at me." She gently put one hand on Mikan's cheek and guided her head until their eyes met. "Tell me what you're worried about."

Mikan's cheeks tinted red with embarrassment. "Hina, I... I-I can't swim... I'm so sorry..."

"Oh, is that all?" Aoi's tone had instantly gone from worried to a gentle cheerfulness. "Well, that's an easy fix! I'll teach you!"

"R-really?" Mikan couldn't help but smile. Aoi's optimism and reassurance did wonders for her anxiety.

"Yeah, of course. Hellooooo it's literally my talent."

"Um... then... I-I guess I should change."

"You should. I'll meet you out there, okay?"

Mikan nodded, and Aoi returned to the pool, where Mahiru was waiting for her.

"Hey, is everything okay?"

Aoi nodded. "Yup. I was just checking on Mikan."

"I figured as much. Is she okay?"

"Yeah, she's alright. But, um..." she leaned closer to her best friend. "Between you and me, Mikan can't swim and she's gonna need a little encouragement today. I'm gonna teach her. Can you be our cheerleader?"

Mahiru nodded, smiling. "Oh, for sure."

Before long, Mikan stepped timidly out of the changing room.

"Ready?" Aoi asked her gently.

She nodded, and the two headed towards the water. Aoi hopped in happily, and helped Mikan get in slowly.

"Alright, we'll start slow, okay?"

Mikan nodded timidly.

Aoi proceeded to gently teach the nervous Mikan all the basics, and within the hour the nurse gad gone from barely being able to float to a steady dog paddle, Mahiru gently cheering her on from the sidelines and occasionally snapping a quick picture.

"Alright I think you're ready."

"R-ready for what?"

Aoi smiled, and then quickly swam to the other end of the pool. Mikan paled a little as she realized what her girlfriend wanted. Then, she took a slow breath, and began to swim across the pool.

"Come on, you got this!" Mahiru shouted from the side as Mikan began her slow swim.

It was nerve-wracking, but Mikan soon made it across. Aoi grinned, scooping the talker girl up in her arms. "That was amazing!"

Mahiru snapped another picture, and Aoi set Mikan down approaching the pool's edge.

"You know, you're the only person who hasn't gone in the water yet."

Mahiru barely had time to hand her camera off to her nearest classmate before getting rather inelegantly dragged into the pool.