chapter twenty five.

Start from the beginning

"Meet you back at the room." I called out, watching Leon, Jett and Evie send me a nod and wink. I was always the quickest packing up my shit, it took years of hiding the fact that I'd taught myself the drums in my own home, making sure I'd have everything cleaned up before my parents came home.

I understood Mabel in that respect— wanting to please the people who raised you. It was hell feeling like anything you ever did would never be good enough or meet their standards. Though Mabel's sweeter than I ever was. She still tries for them, as much as she doesn't want to. I can see it clear as day that she does. And I can see the hope in her eyes dying by the second each and every time her parents simply speak to her.

They'll never change. I know that best.

Following the path backstage, I bypassed the array of cords and equipment strewn across the cold floor. I could see the hallway to where I was headed and all I could think about was her little body, waiting and alone and how badly I wanted to bundle her up and stare at her forever. I really wasn't sure what good I'd done in my life so far for me to be able to come across someone so otherworldly like her.

She deserves everything good. I want to watch her eyes light up when she realises her life is so much more than what she sees it for. But our worlds are different, and not the same in any aspect apart from being raised by shitty parents.

Twisting the doorknob, I let myself in, clutching the case of my sticks in my hand. Looking around, my eyes instantly settling on the only amber brightness of the dull coloured room. Her hauntingly beady eyes finding mine, "I'm very convinced that you guys lied when you told me you'd need me to help you feel inspired to write. You did that all on your own and it was amazing." She wore a proud smile, because she found happiness in others, and I wondered if she understood the context of the lyrics I'd written.

I hoped she did. Could she not feel herself in almost every word?

"Mmm, thanks baby." The word had been slipping past my lips even when I'd tried for it not to. I knew it was shit of me to do, but I couldn't help it. She could somehow put me in some sort of hold that I had no idea how to get out of. I needed to stop calling her that, I didn't want her to get used to it.

She slinked her way forward, her sexy little walk that I bet she payed no attention to. I met her, coming to stand right in front of her by the side of the pool table. Her back lay against the wood, my hand coming to rest by her waist. "Who was the girl? Hm? In the song, who was the girl you were referring to?" She asked me, so playfully and sweet. The ends of her lips curled up, rocking that little devil smile she thought made her look so innocent. It never did.

"Just some girl." I shrugged, watching her eyes light up at my smirk. I knew she knew. And if she didn't, then she would definitely think it was about anybody but her. That was her riddle to figure out.

I really tried to not let my eyes trail down her figure, but her fishnets called my name and I swear I hadn't known what possessed her to wear them. Did she know they were my favourite? She couldn't have. But I could see tiny squares of her skin peak through and internally told myself to get it the fuck together.

Something in her eyes changed, a twinge of sadness now staring back at me. "They think you're being tied down by some girl." She said, and she didn't even have to elaborate because I knew exactly what she meant. Leon made it his mission to whip my mind into shape before we'd gone on to perform. I knew they were all just looking out for me. They didn't think I could handle another heartbreak and they were right, I couldn't. But I wouldn't get myself into another situation where my heart would be broken, I wouldn't let myself get that far.