Great, I thought to myself. Now I'm going to spend the rest of the night talking to a person I just met. Thankfully, the conversation didn't get a chance to develop further as a heavily intoxicated girl started dancing on a table, capturing everyone's attention.

A quick glance confirmed that the girl was, in fact, Chloe. Panic washed over me. I needed to intervene before things got out of hand.

"Well, sorry, Will, but I have to go. My friend had a little too much to drink," I explained, already making my way toward Chloe.

"I can drive you guys home. You can sit in the back and take care of your friend," he offered, his genuine concern evident.

"Stranger danger, remember? I don't get into the car with a man I just met," I replied with a wry smile.

"Can I at least get your name?" Will asked, hopeful.

"Alexis," I answered, keeping my guard up.

With that, I hurried off to get Chloe.

***

With Chloe still in tow, I made my way through the crowded room, weaving through the enthusiastic football fans and dodging partygoers who were clearly enjoying the festivities a little too much. It wasn't easy maneuvering through the chaos, but I was determined to get Chloe home safely.

As we finally reached the car, I carefully helped Chloe into the passenger seat, making sure she was as comfortable as possible. She was already fast asleep, oblivious to the world around her. I sighed, knowing that I would have to deal with the aftermath of her wild night once she woke up.

As I closed the car door, Will leaned against the vehicle, a concerned expression on his face. "Are you sure you don't want me to drive you both home? I don't mind. It's the least I can do after Carter's antics."

I appreciated his offer, but the walls I had built around myself made it hard for me to accept help from anyone, especially someone I barely knew. "I appreciate the gesture, Will, but I've got it covered. I've taken care of Chloe countless times before. This isn't new for me."

Will's eyes lingered on me for a moment before he nodded, understanding evident in his gaze. "Alright, if you're sure. Just be careful, okay?."

I gave him a small smile, appreciating his concern. "Thanks, Will. I'll keep that in mind. Take care."

With that, I closed the car door and walked around to the driver's side. As I settled into the driver's seat, I glanced back at Will, who was still watching us with a thoughtful expression. I started the car and pulled away, leaving the party behind.

The drive back to Chloe's place was quiet, save for the occasional snore from Chloe in the passenger seat. My mind wandered as the city lights blurred by, contemplating the events of the evening. Meeting Will had been unexpected, and I couldn't deny that there was a certain magnetic pull about him. But my past experiences had left me guarded and cautious, unwilling to let anyone break down the walls I had built around myself.

Arriving at Chloe's apartment, I carefully helped her out of the car and into her place. I laid her down on her bed and left a glass of water and pain medication on her bedside table, knowing she would need it in the morning. With one last glance, I closed her bedroom door and retreated to the living room, needing a moment of solitude.