Taking the Leap

"Has Nyssa asked you out yet?" Sara asked when she had finally caught up with Max to chat the day after she asked Nyssa for the favor.

"No. I haven't seen her." Max said casually, then her expression changed to being a little mortified when it dawned on her what Sara actually said. "You told her to ask me out? Are you kidding me?"

"Yeah. She said she'd do it." Sara shrugged as if it was no big deal, but inside her there's a battle whether she should be disappointed or relieved that Nyssa still hadn't asked Max out.

Max was overwhelmed with countless emotions: excitement, panic, extreme happiness, horror, and so much more. "Seriously? I won't forgive you if you're messing with me."

"And you're gonna owe me big time if I'm telling the truth. But I only asked her to go out with you, what happens after that would be totally up to you."

"That's more than I could ever hope to achieve by myself, so if you'r really not messing with me, I am so gonna love you even more."

"That's not good for me. I don't need your love. I know how much you love me already. You have to do better than that." Sara feigned disinterest with exaggerated hand gestures.

"Sure. I'll think of something. God! You're so demanding. My love can never be enough for you. You'd rather have me slaving around."

Both girls were laughing so hard when they parted ways.

------------

That day, Sara found a box inside her locker with a note attached to it.

Sara,

I know that it's a bit early for this. For your birthday. But this is like a preparation of some kind for that special day of yours.

Inside this box are letters. Each letter corresponds to the number of days there are until your birthday. You may open any of them as you may like. Open them one at a time, or all at once. It's all up to you. I would just ask that you open the last one on your birthday itself. It's the one stuck at the bottom of the box.

I wouldn't want to spoil anything that's written on the other letters, so I'll just stop myself here.

See you soon.

~ME

Sara was at a loss for words as to how to describe it other than sweet, but it definitely is more than that. And the 'See you soon.' gave her hope that maybe she'll finally be able to meet this person. She opened the box and counted the letters folded into heart origami's, which she found so endearing. There were 50. 50 letters for the 50 days, including that day. She took one and nervously and excitedly opened.

I never thought I had ever fallen in love or wanted to be with someone more than anything until I saw you dance for the first time. It's funny because I don't dance. I know nothing about it. I have always wondered what it is so fascinating about it that people enjoy doing it, watching it. Then I saw you. The way you moved; so graceful, so beautiful, so perfect that I was captivated.Then and there I guess somehow I understood. You have opened up a whole new world for me.

Sara never thought how much her dancing affected anyone. She only ever danced for herself, because she loves it. Yet, without knowing, she had inspired someone and had showed them something beautiful. She wanted to open another one but stopped herself and just neatly folded the one she had just read into a small square to distinguish it from the ones she still hasn't read.

 "What's that?"

Startled, Sara dropped the box and the letters fell out onto the floor. She hurriedly knelt down to pick each of them up. Nyssa knelt down beside her to help.