Chapter 9- Slipping and Sliding

Start from the beginning

  They'd been found.

     The climbing from rock to rock was difficult. The slope James lead his siblings down was slippery, and his feet danced along the black ice. His hands ached due to the rough sedimentary stone. That meant landing on the frozen, snow covered, ice was a blessing: he wouldn't slip any more. Though, as soon as he saw the cracks edging closer towards them, it was no longer.

     Tentatively, the blonde stuck his foot out, pressing his weight delicately to the petrified water when it snapped. James pulled himself back, he didn't want to fall.

  "Wait. Maybe I should go first." Mr Beaver offered, to which Peter replied as he put a hand to his older brothers shoulder.

  "Maybe you should."

  So, Mr Beaver waddled along the ice, patting down his tail to detect weak spots. It was a fine technique, one that James wished he could use for himself. When the first crack appeared, the male beaver did not falter, however, Mrs Beaver called. "You've been sneaking second helpings, haven't you?"

  "Well, you never know which meals gonna be our last. Especially with your cooking."

     The eldest Pevensie was ignoring the conversation occurring. It was unimportant.

     What was more so?

     His footing as he followed Mr Beaver across the ice. His stance was awkward and wrong: James could feel it. Every movement seemed shaky, unwilling, but dutiful all the same. If any one of the siblings had to go first, it would be him. If it meant his brothers and sisters were safe, happily he would lead the way.

    Along the cracking floor they travelled, unaware of what would happen next. A few whimpers escaped the lips of the children on their way. James had placed himself firmly at the front, unaware of what was going on behind him as his gaze was fixated straight ahead. Despite this, he did turn once when Lucy let out a scream, and saw her clutching Peter's arm in fear. Some snow and ice had fallen from the waterfall- but she was alright.

  "If Mum knew what we were doing..." Susan trailed.

  "Mum's not here." Peter protested.

  "I'm not planning on telling her," James said. "If no one ever tells her, she won't ever find out."

  "Oh no!" Cried Lucy as she looked up. There, she watched as a few wolves ran along the edge of the frozen waterfall. They really had been found.

  "Run!" Called Peter.

  "What did I say about telling me to run?" James shouted back, a combination of afraid and angry.

     There was no answer, as the next voice to call out belonged to Susan. "Hurry!"

     Lucy screamed again.

     The wolves jumped. They scaled the cliff until they landed in front of the group: two of them snarling. At that, the children turned to step backwards, but were met by a couple of barriers. One was another small group of wolves, and the second, was ice breaking away beneath them. Water gushed upwards, spraying them a fraction.

  "No!" Cried Mrs Beaver as Mr Beaver was captured by a wolf. His life was now on the line. Another reason for James to feel guilty. First Edmund, now Mr Beaver.