Chapter 9- Slipping and Sliding

Most nights, I hardly sleep
Don't take what you don't need from me
Just a drop in the ocean
A change in the weather
- A Drop In the Ocean, Ron Pope

• - - •

𝚂𝙸𝙼𝙿𝙻𝙴 things are the key. That was the truth, in James' eyes. It is the simple things that are the key to goodness in life.

     Since he was young, James Pevensie was glad to be surrounded by simplicity. It wasn't that he was unable to have more sophisticated objects, which would've made the boys at Hendon House like him more, because if he had wanted it, he could've had it. James just didn't want them. Instead, he was glad to have wooden trains, packs of cards, and as many books as he was allowed. That was what made him happy.

     To James, simple meant happiness. That was enough.

     There was a moment, just after Father Christmas had left, where the eldest Pevensie was left speechless. It was when he was this way, bliss spread throughout him. His new weapon was clutched in his right hand as well as his gifted leather belt. It was the other present that Father Christmas had given him, but he wore it without the axe in hold- around his waist so that he could still grasp the weapon, just in case.

     He didn't want to let it out of his sight yet. If he did the moment would be over. However, as soon as Peter's voice sounded, he was brought back.

     The reality was harsh.

     "He said winter was almost over." James' blonde brother pondered, and suddenly, it felt as if concrete had been poured onto his chest. "You know what that means."

  With a breathless sigh, James replied. "No more ice."

     At that, the group ran towards the edge of the cliff: it was the easiest way down to the frozen lake. However, now it wasn't so frozen anymore. They witnessed the azure water shimmering in the golden daylight, breaking through ice that was still covered in a thick layer of snow. A waterfall had frozen in place for a hundred years. How long would it be that way for now?

  "We need to cross, now!" Peter hurried them.

  "Don't beavers make dams?" Asked Lucy, confused.

  Mr Beaver replied swiftly. "I'm not that fast, dear."

  "Come on!" James grabbed onto Peter, pulling along him. His brother, for once, was right. They needed to cross, quickly, otherwise they might not make it to Aslan's camp.

  "Will you think about this for a minute?" Susan paused the other Pevensie's from moving along the snowy rocks.

  "We don't have a minute." The blue eyed brother stated.

  "I'm just trying to be realistic."

  "No, you're trying to be smart. As usual."

  "There's nothing wrong with being smart." James mentioned to the eldest girl. "But there is a time. This, is not it. We have to keep moving."

     The siblings, and beavers, began to walk away slowly when they heard it. The cry of a wolf. A howl, signalling something to its pack, loud and clear.