Chapter 4- Heart to Heart to Heart

I woke up from a neverending dream
I shut my eyes at seventeen
Lost there, a moment inbetween
I felt the sun rise up and swallow me, yeah
- Some Kind of Disaster, All Time Low

•  -  -  •

𝙹𝙰𝙼𝙴𝚂 Pevensie was a lover of fiction. He always had been: there was simply something about another world which fascinated him. There were times where he wished he could be whisked away to a place without war, without pain, where his father would be home and could comfort him. It would be a world where the boys at school would refrain from bullying him so his constantly bruised knuckles would be no more. That place seemed like heaven: but James wasn't there. He was in a world that implanted a hatred for being too far from his family inside of his veins; it was at fault of the war. The war that caused all kinds of pain. Pain that could've been avoided.

     That was why, when Lucy claimed she had found an entire new world hidden inside of a wardrobe- James instantly believed her. To him, even if there was no logical explanation, it made perfect sense. His sister was not a liar, her imagination was limited, and she was kind to the point where she was visibly upset when unable to make a difference. Lucy Pevensie would not make something like this up. Whatever his siblings said- James knew it.

     Susan had decided that, because she was logical, they must check the wardrobe to prove to Lucy that this world didn't exist. Of course, James protested the idea, but he was paid little to no attention on the matter. Instead, the eldest sister peered through the large collection of winter coats, knocking upon the hardwood back of the furniture. From the other side, Edmund was stood between it and the wall, knocking back to Susan: he ensured there was no gap she could've gone through. (Even if there was, it wouldn't have been enough space for a world. James didn't understand their logic.) However, they believed their actions completely disproved all of the youngest Pevensie's words. Even so, they were still believable in James' mind.

      "Lucy, the only wood in here is the back of the wardrobe." Said Susan, indifferently.

  Peter added, softly. "One game at a time, Lou. We don't all have your imagination."

  The three middle siblings began to walk from the room, Edmunds gaze lingering longer than the rest- but James stayed. He moved to his sister, kneeling down and taking her hand with a small smile. "But I wasn't imagining!" She pleaded with her oldest brother, desperately, stopping the others in their tracks as they heard.

  "That's enough, Lucy." Said the dark haired sister, receiving an evil glare from James.

  "I wouldn't lie about this!" The small girl cried out, clearly upset. Why didn't her siblings believe her? She'd never lied. James couldn't understand either.

  "Of course not," the blonde smiled sympathetically. "and I think it's wonderful. I believe you."

  "I do too!" Exclaimed Edmund, his freckled face changing instantly as he turned to face them. He seemed almost excited. As much as he loved Edmund, the feeling that gave James was a bad one.

  "You do?" He asked, skeptically, standing beside Lucy rather than in front of her. She was confused too- everyone was.

  "Yeah, of course." The black haired boy looked from brother to brother and sister to sister as he spoke. "Didn't I tell you about the football field in the bathroom cupboard?"

  James sighed. "Will you just stop?" Peter spat. "You just have to make everything worse, don't you?"

  "Peter," warned the elder brother from a few feet away, stepping forwards. "not the time."