初恋 ∙ 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭

Start from the beginning

Jingoo, busy receiving updates from their captain, nodded along with his hands behind his back as they slowly made their way to the elevator, where Jungkook and Yoongi had just stepped out.

Once he laid eyes on the detective, his face turned from impassive to icy. Jungkook still opened a friendly half-smile, pressing the button so the elevator could return.

"Lieutenant," Sangkyu greeted. "Detective Min."

Both answered the captain with a respectful bow and Jungkook looked at his long-time rival. "Never thought I'd say that, but... I'm glad you're back. This place has been falling apart since you left."

"Which says a lot about your competence," Jingoo replied, pressing the button an extra time.

Sighing, Jungkook pinched his forehead before glancing at Yoongi discreetly, who decided not to comment. "Don't you think it's time for you to put all that grudge behind?"

"Easy for you to say with both of your parents alive."

"Boys," the captain warned. "Don't start."

"My parents need to be murdered so we can start being civil with each other?

Jaw clenching, Jingoo glared at him impatiently. "No, but it'd certainly make you understand what I felt and how it is to know that those who should've protected them, actually helped."

"I said it wasn't my idea."

"How's the investigation going?" he cut him off. "Any results?"

"As a matter of fact, yes."

"Perfect. When these results get them all in prison, then we can talk." The ding of the bell announced the elevator and once the doors slid open, Jingoo was ahead of the captain, turning to the panel buttons.

"Give him time," Sangkyu muttered. "He's been through a lot."

Jungkook just gave him an understanding nod.

"Wow," Yoongi let out a small rumble of a laugh, folding his hands behind his head as they began to move to the exit of the building. "It's bad as if you were the assassin yourself."

"Can't blame him," he gave a dismissive shrug, hands shoved in his pockets. "I'd have reacted the same way."

"It's not your fault."

"He doesn't care. Jingoo's mad because I had the choice of refusing to be part of it and I didn't."

Yoongi scoffed. "And go against the chief's orders? We have our best shot now that you're meeting them all in person."

Pushing the door open, Jungkook frowned up to the sky, not expecting to be welcomed by the heavy rain while Yoongi slipped a packet of cigarettes from his pocket, selecting one. 

"Weren't you pessimistic about the whole thing?"

"I was," he confirmed, the filter tip dangling between his lips as he lit it with a flick of a lighter. "It was hard to put a hundred percent of my expectations in your expectations... We're detectives. We don't work with faith and that's all you had."

"Yeah, I got lucky."

A chuckle. "You sure did. Commissary smoke, Jeon?" he asked, holding out the packet.

Jungkook wrinkled his nose in denial and watched the smoke that came out of his partner's first drag fading into the air as they stood against the wall in silence, waiting for the constant hammer of rain to end. He crossed his arms, switching his leg weight, thoughts circling in his mind; futile and ceaseless in equal measures.