Chapter 10 Holidays

December 24th, 2004

"Baji," he looked at me with a serious expression knowing that I was being just as serious, "I don't want there to be any secrets between us."

"Yeah?"

"I'll tell you my last secret. But you have to promise me you won't tell anyone else and treat me the same as you always did."

He nodded his head, "Of course. Promise. I never told anyone any of the others." He sent me his signature canine grin.

I opened my mouth but no words came out. As I looked at his face, I began to second guess myself. Would he be angry that I pretended to be a guy? Would he stop being my friend? Would things change between us? I felt fear consume my thoughts. I really did not want to lose him.

"You don't have to tell me," I was surprised as he spoke those words to me. He laid back down on the ground with his arms behind his head, "Tell me when you are ready. You don't have to push yourself."

Damnit.

The guilt inside of me only grew. Baji was such a good friend to me. He had always been there for me. He was the only friend to have met my mom before she passed away. He took care of me when she died. He helped me open my heart and soothed all the uncontrollable emotions that came to the surface. Whenever I needed someone, he was there. How did I repay him for everything he did for me? I deceived him. I kept secrets from him.

I looked down to my lap, clenching my jaw. My fists tightened as my body trembled. Would I really let the fear of losing him keep me from telling him who I really was? I wanted so desperately to be completely myself with him. He already accepted so many parts of me, right? Would he accept me if he knew I was a girl?

"I-" I hesitated. Damnit, Ayato. Just spit it out. "Imagirl."

I said it so fast. I wasn't sure if he even understood me. But I felt the weight come off my shoulders as the words were finally out in the open. I finally told my closest friend my last and final secret.

"That's not funny," was his response.

I looked up to see him sitting up with a pissed off expression on his face.

"I'm not jokin-"

"You think it's funny to play with someone's emotions like that?" he spat at me.

"Baji, I'm not playing with-"

Baji quickly moved to tackle my body. My back was pressed up against his bedroom's floor. One of his legs was between mine while the other was on the other side. He held my arms by their wrists next to my head. His eyes darkened as he leaned down towards me.

Although I expected him to become angry, I didn't think he would accuse me of making all this up. I didn't fight against his hold. I was ready to take whatever he was going to throw at me.

"Why aren't you fighting back? You could easily overpower me, right?" he questioned me with darkened eyes.

"I trust you," I told him, letting go of the deepened voice I used to pretend to be a boy. His expression softened a little in surprise, "That's why I told you the truth." He remained silent. "You know what would happen to me if they knew that I was actually a girl. It's why my mom raised me as a boy. To protect me from that kind of life."

His grip on my arms loosened, "Why? Why tell me now?"

"I told you. Because I trust you. I didn't want any secrets between us."

"Damn," he cursed.

My eyes widened as he let himself fall on top of me. His head was next to mine, his breath tickling my neck. I could feel his body pressing against mine.