Chapter 20: Epilogue

"Mommy!" a brunette girl, about 4 in age, yelled and ran over to Jessica. "Up!" 
Jessica picked the small girl up and laughed as Bella and Bonnie came crashing to her feet. 
"Were they chasing you Darla?" the blonde teased and tickled her daughter. Darla nodded and nestled into Jessica's hold, giggling. 
"No fair!" Bella whined and pouted, almost instantly becoming a perfect replica of Stacie. 
"I guess we will have to chase them back!" Jessica placed Darla back down and prompted Bella and Bonnie to run off again. They chased after them and soon the backyard was full of laughter and squeals.
Ashley looked up from her book and smiled.
"Having fun you three?" she chuckled as Darla and Jessica chased after Bella and the Husky. She didn't even need a reply because the smiles and laughter coming from the blonde and the two kids were overbearing. 

Eventually Jessica trudged over to her girlfriend and sat on her lap. 
"Those kids have infinite energy." the blonde groaned and yawned, leaning her head on Ashley's shoulder. "When is Stacie coming to pick Bella up?" 
"Any time now." the brunette pressed a kiss to her girlfriend's head and watched the children run around the backyard after the poor husky. Jessica smiled as Ashley stroked her hair while she continued to read her book. 
Right on cue, that very same tall brunette entered the backyard. The couple had given Stacie a key for convenience so most of the time she just let herself in. 
"Hey weirdos." Stacie smiled. "How's she been?" 
"Crazy." Ashley chuckled. "She's even managed to wear miss hyperactive out." 
She gestured to Jessica, who was now struggling not to fall asleep on her girlfriend's lap. Stacie laughed as the 5 year old ran over to her mother. The tall brunette smiled and picked her up, laughing a little more when Bella yawned. 
"Well," Stacie held her daughter close. "You somehow managed to wear her out too." 
"But Darla is still chasing poor Bonnie." Ashley laughed, putting her book down and tapping Jessica's thigh to signal for her to get up so that she could herself. The blonde didn't respond, having drifted off within the couple minutes they were talking and Ashley rolled her eyes playfully. 
"Darla, come say goodbye to Bella." The shorter brunette resigned to lifting her girlfriend off her lap, getting up and laying her on one of the loungers as Darla rather grumpily ran over. "You'll see her again soon when you both start kindergarten." 
"Oh wow, I forgot about that." Stacie put Bella down so she could hug her friend goodbye. "Less than a week and they start school. I feel old now."
"I would have laughed at that." Ashley teased and hid her chuckle. "But, I'm older than you so I'm offended."  
"Awww poor banana butt." the taller brunette smirked, folding her arms. Ashley rolled her eyes and shoved Stacie, making her stumble slightly. The younger woman picked Bella up after the two toddlers had said goodbye to each other. 

~~~

"Mommy?" Darla's voice pierced the night time silence of the bedroom. Jessica looked up from her laptop and beckoned for her daughter to come over. She had taken the opportunity to write while her girlfriend and daughter slept but clearly that opportunity wasn't to last long. 
"What's up sweetie?" she asked when the 4 year old climbed onto her lap, leaving the blonde to discard her writing and focus on her. 
"I don't want to go to kindergarten." Darla pouted, and Jessica had to bite her lip so to not laugh. It was incredible how much she looked like Ashley when she made that face. 
"Why not?" she let her daughter curl up on top of her before wrapping her arms protectively around her. "School is lots of fun."
"Mama said that school was bad." the small brunette clutched her mother's pyjama shirt. "She said all the people were mean to her." 

"You'll have Bella there hun." Jessica stroked her hair. "The teachers are nice there, and if any of the kids are mean to you, you need to tell me." 
Darla nodded. She wanted to protest but sleep was taking over, especially because of her mother's ministrations. 
"I love you mommy." the 4 year old smiled. 
"I love you too." she whispered, taking the toddler back to her room and putting her in bed. Suddenly the best idea appeared. 

We may not be conventional.
We might stay up a bit too late.
I may get a little emotional.
But I know that we are worth the wait.

I'll stand by you, don't have to choose.
You held my heart and led the way.
You're patient when I try on shoes.
Thanks for the word that you don't say...

Now I am ready for all of my life.
So will you take the best and worst of me.
Swear I'll make you happy 
cause you're everything I need.
I promise you to take you as you are.
And I will love you always
You are my favorite part of me.

You and I, we make this life a party.
You and I, we set this time on fire.
More than engraved a part of me.
We took your smile and made it ours.

No questions when I look at you.
You're answers make this time worthwhile.
Lets start a family me and you.
Lets make each day a day we smile...

Now I am ready for all of my life.
So will you take the best and worst of me.
Swear i'll make you happy 
Cause you're everything i need.
I promise you to take you as you are.
And I will love you always
You are my favorite part of me.

When I look back now I see
I'm the best with you that I can be.
When I look back now it's clear.
We were always meant to be right here...

So will you take the best and worst of me.
Swear I'll make you happy
Cause you're everything I need.
I promise you to take you as you are.
And I will love you always
 You are my favorite part,
and I will love you always
You are my favorite part of me...