Chapter 15: What did you do Ashley?

"Woah." Ashley shocked herself at her sudden forwardness. 
"W-what did you just do?" Jessica frowned and sat up. 
"I, um, think, I just, kissed you?" the brunette's words came out in chunks; she knew she had messed up. 
"Maybe I should go." the younger woman got up. "We both need space." 
And with that she had left the room with Bonnie. 

Ashley sat up, her jaw dropped. She didn't know what to think. On one hand, Jessica could now be completely disgusted by her, but on the other hand, she could just be processing it. She quickly got up and got changed into her work clothes, brushing her hair and pulling it back into a half up braided bun. 
No sound was coming from Jessica's room as Ashley walked past to make breakfast for them both. Finishing her own breakfast, the brunette left a plate of food for Jessica and a few little scraps for Bonnie, along with a hastily scribbled but still legible note. 

Hey Jess,
 I've left for work but I made sure to make some breakfast for you too and left some scraps for Bonnie. Have a good day, I hope you don't hate me too much after what happened earlier.
Love, 
Ashley

Rushing into the hospital, Ashley made her way to the maternity ward and immediately found her way to Ellie. 
"Hey Ash." the purple haired woman grinned, leaning back on the desk chair. "Ready for another fun day of sitting at these chairs and typing up forms until our fingers are numb?" 
The older woman laughed slightly. Ellie always reminded Ashley of Jessica, which was perhaps one of the reasons they were friends. The brunette tended to attract quite perky, hyperactive, soft, caring friends, and Ellie was no exception. She was quite short, around 5'2, with dyed purple hair down to her shoulder and always wore square glasses. 
"I guess." Ashley shrugged, slumping onto her seat. 
"What's up buttercup?" Ellie looked over at the brunette's melancholy demeanor. "How's it going with you-know-who?" 
"Um, completely shitty?" the older woman admitted. "I kissed her this morning- I wasn't thinking at all." 
Ellie frowned, trying to figure out why that was a bad thing. 
"She completely freaked out and left after," Ashley continued, practically reading the blue eyed woman's mind. "But, she did kiss back and pulled me closer during it. So I don't know what to think at this point." 
"I'm sure it'll work itself out." Ellie nodded. "Also we're in delivery this afternoon, there's a shortage of staff so we kinda get a promotion for the day."
"Nice." Ashley looked up at a couple walking up to the desk in front of her. 

The day couldn't have passed slower for Ashley as she finally set foot in the apartment at half 6 in the evening, exactly. As on occasion, there was music pouring from Jessica's room. An original song, probably, as the brunette had not heard it before- and of course because it contained Jessica's incredible voice. 

I wouldn't say it's complicated

As long as we are fast asleep

As we lay

In the little moments before we wake

You reach for me

She carefully shut the door and walked to her bedroom, putting her bag at the bottom of her closet and listening closely to the lyrics. 

Before the weight of uncertainty

Before it's too late

Before we're angry

Before the sun takes our dreams away

Before we untangle, I'll stay

Ashley noted the lyrics in her head as the song continued. It seemed awfully similar to their situation. The falling asleep together and imagining being with each other for the night but being brought back to reality that they weren't. Tears pricked at her eyes. 

Still

Afraid to breathe

I am still

And we're still happy

I won't move

Risk you stirring from your slumber

Next to me

I think I'll choose

To live a life under these covers

Happily

Ashley closed her eyes and felt herself drifting off to sleep. Gods damn the blonde's soothing voice. She could listen to it forever. 

Before the weight of uncertainty

Before it's too late

Before we're angry

Before the sun takes our dreams away

Before we untangle, I'll stay

Still

Afraid to breathe

I am still

And we're so happy

Still

I'm afraid to breathe

I am still

And you're still happy

You look so happy

I wouldn't say

It's complicated

As long as we are fast asleep

And with that, Ashley drifted off to sleep, swearing she could feel Jessica's arms around her. The daze felt so real that she didn't notice when Jessica walked in to try and wake her up for dinner.  Or when she slipped into bed with her, spooning the brunette from behind and leaving a gentle goodnight kiss on her neck. Or when the blonde draped her leg over the older woman's body and pulled her closer. It was if nothing had happened that morning. 

As dawn drew near, Ashley began to stir. She turned over and jumped slightly when she felt a body there. 
"Jess?" she whispered, despite knowing that the younger woman was probably still sleeping. 
"Mhm?" Jessica stretched and opened her eyes. "What's up?" 
"You're not mad at me?" the brunette frowned.
"No, why would I?" the blonde pulled her closer. "I just needed time to process it. And I'm totally okay. I promise." 
"Really?" 
"Yeah, I, um, I like you. A lot. And I just, wasn't prepared for you to do that, I guess." 
"Prepared? For a kiss from me? Do you not remember we used to hook up when we were drunk in college?" 
"Yeah but we were drunk then, this was sober." Jessica turned onto her back. "And your intentions weren't to fuck me."
"They weren't?" Ashley teased, giggling. 
"Shut up." the blonde flicked her forehead and laughed. 
"And yes, I like you too." the older woman pulled her closer. 
"Yay!" Jessica turned back to face Ashley, kissing her nose and grinning giddily.
"Wanna be my girlfriend?"