Chapter 17: What happened Ashley?

"Jess? Are you here?" Ashley called throughout the apartment. There was no sign of life. Until Bonnie came sprinting out the bedroom. 
"Jeez." the brunette fell backwards with a thump at the force of the large dog bouncing onto her. "Is Jess in there?" 

She crept into the room and was instantly met with a foul smell. 
"Jess? What ha.." her eyes widened at the sight of a body in a pool of blood and vomit. "Jess!"
Ashley gently turned the body over to show her girlfriend's bloody face. 
"Jessica?" her voice raised as she shook the blonde. She looked around the room. The bed had been pushed to the side, and the clean laundry that was on top of it was now strewn across the floor; clearly there had been a struggle. On the bed, a scrunched up piece of paper was left. Ashley got up and unfolded the paper. 

Don't try and hide. She's not worth it.
Betray us once more and it won't be just her.
That's a promise.

Ashley frowned and scanned the paper and turned it over. There was something small scrawled on the back, that the brunette instantly recognised as Jerrie's handwriting. 

I'm sorry Ashley. I tried to stop them.
You need to leave, you and her.
Leave the state. 
Go far away, don't worry about me.
Love you always. ~J

Ashley heard coughing behind her and turned around to see Jessica sat up, soaked in her own blood and vomit. She quickly knelt down at her side, dialling 911 on her phone. 
"Jess, lay back down please." Ashley whispered. "What happened?" 
"There were... people... I don't know... who they were." the blonde stumbled over her words, taking sharp shallow breaths in between each phrase. "Attacked.. with knives...... and a bat... hit me in the stomach.. I don't remember.." 
"It's okay. I have an ambulance on the way." Ashley brushed her hair back to reveal a deep slash across her forehead. "Deep breaths sweetie. You're gonna be okay." 

It felt like forever until the ambulance and police arrived. The paramedics started treating Jessica, while the police took Ashley away to question her. 
"Name and relationship to victim?" 
"Ashley Jones. I'm her girlfriend." 
"Okay." the officer scribbled notes down in her notebook. "Is there anyone you can possibly think who would want to do this?"
"She seemed to have a rough relationship with her ex boyfriend," Ashley thought, trying to figure out a way to not link it to the gangs. "They broke up a few days ago. But on the note, there's a mini message from my friend Jerrie and she doesn't know him. At least, not that I know of. But also Jess and I never seemed to get along with Jerrie's friends. They seemed to hate us, but I guess that's not quite a reason to do that."
"Well, it can all count for something. Alright. If you hear or remember any information, please can you phone this number." the officer passed a card to Ashley and she nodded. 
"Thank you officer." the brunette followed the paramedics down to the ambulance, where they put Jessica in and drove off. 

"You're lucky you called so quickly. 5 more minutes and she would have bled out." the paramedic looked at Ashley. She nodded and bit her lip, looking over at Jessica, who had lost consciousness again. 
"Do you know how quickly she'll be okay again?" she whispered. 
"Anything from a few weeks to a few months." the paramedic scanned through the sheet with all the details on it. "Depending on the severity of where she was hit it could possibly take years."
Ashley gulped and leaned back.
"She will be okay eventually." 
The paramedics words were reassuring but they did not comfort the brunette. The impending guilt was beginning to encase her like some sort of cage with no key. She sighed as they pulled up to the hospital and took Jessica inside, leaving Ashley in the waiting room. The brunette sat down in one of the chairs and called Stacie. 

"What's up Banana Butt?" the tall girl's voice piped up.
"Um, they came to my apartment and attacked Jess." 
"Oh. Which ones?" Ashley could hear Stacie moving somewhere. Probably to have privacy from Aubrey. 
"I'm not sure but I know for sure Jerrie was there." Ashley whispered. 
"Jerrie? I thought she was in prison?" Stacie frowned. 
"I think they broke out. But I don't know." 
"This isn't good Ash." 
"I know. Jerrie told me to leave the state." Ashley sighed. "I don't know what to do." 
"Do as she says." Stacie shrugged. "It's probably the best thing you can do for now." 
"I guess so. I'm gonna go in and see Jess now, I'll talk to you later?"  
"Yep. Say hi to her from me."
"Will do."  

A doctor made his way out of the room and directed Ashley in. 
"She's a bit disoriented, but that's to be expected." he explained. Ashley nodded and made her way to Jessica's room. 

"Hey babe." the brunette spoke quietly. 
"Hey Ash." Jessica stretched slightly; her head had been patched up, as well as several other parts of her body. 
"How are you feeling?" 
"Like shit." the blonde shrugged.
"I'm sorry that happened." 
"It's not your fault." the blonde brushed some hair out of her face. "Hugs?" 
Ashley nodded and hugged Jessica. 

It was her fault. It was all her fault even though she couldn't admit it out loud- and she knew it. She knew it so well.  
She couldn't control a few tear dropping down her cheeks. She never wanted Jessica to get hurt. She never wanted any of it. She just wanted a normal life, even if it was the typical 9-5 job, the couple kids, the white picket fences. Just the peace and no fear. No one gets hurt, no one is terrified for their life. 

Jessica pulled the brunette close and kissed her cheek. 
"Babe, please don't cry." she whispered, rubbing her back. "I'm okay." 
Ashley's soft sniffles became rough sobs as the shame built inside her. 
"I...I don't want to lose you." she stammered. "I don't w-want you to get hurt." 
"You won't lose me Ash." Jessica pulled her closer. "I'm here. I'm okay."