Chapter 40: Slander

The sea breeze caressed Fu Li's cheeks, which were so pale they bordered on transparent. The bloodstains on the back of his hand had already dried up and scabbed over.

"Rabbit, the moon's already risen three times," The Kunpeng's complexion was also slightly wan. "We can't stay here forever, right?"

"As long as Kunpeng daren promises not to eat humans, we can let you go and take you to eat the true delicacies of the human world," The bloody light from the soft whip in Fu Li's hands flickered. "Daren may not be aware, but the humans have invented many interesting things. The human world is much more interesting than it was before. Why would you abandon this pleasure just to eat a few mouths of bad-tasting human flesh?"

"I'm fine with not eating flesh, but you must tell me why you're going so far to protect the humans," The Kunpeng wasn't actually very fond of eating humans; their many bones and little meat made them very uninteresting. He was in a deadlock with Fu Li for so long not for the sake of human meat, but for the sake of the Kunpeng race's face. Although he hadn't been able to make out Fu Li's original form, the other party definitely wasn't very old. He had lived for tens of thousands of years, yet he couldn't even defeat a rabbit with a few thousand years of cultivation – if this were to circulate, where would he hide his face?

"The humans have long been the children of heavenly law. If daren were to eat them, wouldn't that be an act counter to heavenly law?" Fu Li said. "This humble one might have a poor cultivation base but has also felt the decline of the yao race. Yao cultivators aren't restricted for the sake of humans, but for the sake of us yao cultivators."

The Kunpeng recalled how the Baize and Qilin had told him several years ago to be cautious as changes were occurring in the land under the Heavens. He wasn't accustomed to the Baize and Qilin's mild tempers and merely felt that they were intentionally scaring him, so he ignored them. Later on, these two beasts colluded with the Dangkang and Xing Xing to deal grievous injuries to him, and even allowed them to seal him at the bottom of the sea. He had been forced to remain at the bottom for more than four thousand years and only had a chance to escape recently when the seal weakened.

If the Baize and Qilin hadn't lied to him and allowed him to be sealed at the bottom of the sea, wouldn't he have escaped all this?

"Where is the Baize and Qilin?" The Kunpeng wanted to question them thoroughly. Wasn't the Baize all-knowing when it came to everything under the heavens? Didn't he comprehend not only the past but also the present? As long as he asked him, the truth would naturally come to light.

Fu Li shook his head. "Kunpeng daren, ever since my birth, I've only heard the names of these two darens but have never seen them before."

"Then what about the Dangkang and Xing Xing?" The Kunpeng loosened his grip on his divine staff.

"Dangkang and Xing Xing?" Fu Li furrowed his brows. He had never heard White Ape mention these two yao beasts, so he could only shake his head. "My apologies, this humble one has never heard of these two darens."

They had all gone missing?

The Kunpeng had bore this grudge towards them for more than four thousand years at the bottom of the sea. He hadn't expected to receive the news of them having gone missing after escaping from the seal. He raised his head, looking at Fu Li, "You aren't lying to me?"

"Daren, this humble one dares to swear on my cultivation base," Seeing that the Kunpeng had no intention of continuing the fight, he retrieved his whip first and took a step back, bowing to him. "If Kunpeng daren doesn't mind, please try the delicacies of the human world with this humble one."