"Sure you are..." groaned Devlin, sliding his back on the wall until he was seated on the floor. His hands covered his head in distress. "There's no way we can fight with you in this condition. I need to come up with something that won't kill us both."

"I can fight!" I screamed, flipping the operating table like a coin.

Surprised, his eyes widened. The operating table was fastened to the ground, and I had unhinged it so easily with my strength alone. To be honest, I didn't get what the fuss was about, that table felt as heavy as a toothpick as I held it in my hand.

"What?" I asked, getting annoyed by his staring. "Fine, I'll put it down." So, I did.

He watched me for a while longer before suddenly standing up and rushing over to me. Out of the blue, he swung at me. However, unlike before, I, somehow, could see every fragment of his movement, so I avoided his punch completely. He tried to punch me several times at an alarming speed, but I dodged them all then just looked at him like he was crazy. "Are you trying to kill me? I'm not your experimental punching bag, you devilish twit!"

"My blood ..." he said almost out of breath and with his hands on his knees. "It gave you more powers as well, I see."

"What are you talking about? I feel just fine," I stated, anger slipping in between my words. "And why do you keep looking at me like that?"

"You were supposed to die, Jules. This" – he stood upright – "has never happened before."

Just as he finished his sentence, my legs suddenly gave out on me, and I fell to the ground. My head started throbbing and I felt as though I was going to throw up at any moment. Devlin ran to my side and asked me what was happening. I didn't reply to him; even I was clueless about what was going on. Instead, I just laughed it out and bubbled, "My legs fell asleep. I don't feel too good, Devly."

Devlin swept me off the floor and into his toned arms. "I think I have an idea on how to get us out, but I need you to not say anything."

Feeling sick to my stomach and giggly at the same time, I just nodded as he proceeded with the plan. Carrying me, he swiped an access card from one of the dead bodies on the floor and made his way out the door. As we left the operating room with nothing but blood on its floor and walls, I just prayed I wouldn't end up back in there.

XXX

With furtiveness, we maneuvered the halls of the building and did our best to evade any Devils on the way. Devlin had said he was worried they would sniff me out -- and that was the last thing we needed. The passages seemed endless as we paced through. Just as we unlocked a door, a pair of guards walked out and stared us down.

"Relax, they're just demons," Devlin whispered to me as he walked past them with a smile.

The slightly shorter guard with a baton turned and called out to him, "That area is classified. Where are you heading?"

We both froze. "Shit," Devlin cussed only loud enough for me to hear him before turning around to the two men and laughing, "Oops, that was a close one, haha."

They didn't look entertained one bit. The spokesperson of the two spoke out again, "What are you interns doing this far back in the headquarters?"

"Oh, um," Devlin started, still smiling at them, "So we're new to this job, and our supervisors threw us a little get-together—"

The man speaks up again as his hand glided over to his pistol, "And that concerns us how?"

The whole time I was busy studying Devlin's fascinating face. "Isn't he so pretty? Look at those kissable lips," I giggled.

The two men look at us then at each other. The taller one with a rifle then added, "Room eight is where you should go if you and your girl want some privacy."

Devlin quickly spoke up, "Actually, my little annoying friend here had too much to drink, and our bosses wanted us to take her home before the big dogs came, but we kind of got lost with their directions."

Still eyeing us down, the guards talked amongst themselves for a moment. Once through with their discussion, one of them offered to walk us out, so we complied and began our walk to freedom.

"So, where are you two from?" said the guard with the rifle. He had been the one who volunteered to accompany us.

"Well, we grew up in the Iram Kingdom, before moving to Desidia to study medicine," Devlin replied, allowing me to nuzzle my head into his neck. He was so warm but cold; it was hard to explain.

The guard nodded understandably. "You must be some pretty damn good doctors to be hired by Lady Hepler and Madame Sharq. I mean, the place isn't exactly your dream hospital, and you don't necessarily save lives, but the pay is triple what you make than outside there. And that's a lot since you're surgeons."

Devlin heaved a sigh. "Yeah, we are."

"You said you're from Iram, right?" the guard asked; he didn't bother waiting for our replies. "A little birdie told me the next of heir will be replaced next week. The poor Ira family hasn't found their son for over three years now; it must be heartbreaking. I know it would be for me. I have two, and I couldn't imagine if one of them left."

A small silence followed. It was the kind where a sad melody would play. Devlin looked like he was nearing tears when the man spoke about Iram. It was his home, just like Earth was mine.

XXX

A million passages, a couple of hundred stairs, and a few elevators down, we were outside the massive stainless-steel complex that had held us hostage for what felt like forever. The poorly lit world of Ashlin City was dingy and messy with all the rain out there; nevertheless, it was a site I had craved to see. As it continued to rain cats and dogs out there, the guard handed us an umbrella; we exchanged goodnights, then he left.

Once I made sure he had disappeared inside, I snapped my head back at Devlin and yelled, "We're outside, bitch! The real outside!" Ecstatic was all I was feeling now that I had made it back to the real world. Real rain, real mud, and the actual rich smell of wet soil. I missed it all.

Devlin hadn't said a word. He just stared into the open space. I tried calling out to him, but he was so deep in thought, he dropped the umbrella.

Sobering up, now I was concerned as I called his name for the sixth time. "Devlin? What's wrong?"

"Jules," he looked down at me with his beautiful silver, tear-stained eyes, "I think I want to go home."