Berdly- Unwanted Competition

Request by: Soy_weona_

(And thus, my quest to find more pictures of Berdly that aren't insulting to him or my own eyes continues... with still very few images meeting my approval! I like this one though... It's great!) 

Thanks for the request! :D Now onto the story!

~~~

"Al-Alright, class, be quiet please!" Ms. Alphys said from the front of the room. The students quieted down. She cleared her throat a little. "Th-Thank you. Now, we're going to b-be starting a new project today! You're going to be doing it in g-groups of, uh, two."

The moment those words left her mouth, your classmates were already claiming group members with their eyes. Berdly looked at you hopefully, wiggling his eyebrows a bit. You couldn't help but snort and giggle quietly at his goofy face. He wasn't exactly subtle about how much he liked doing group projects with you... or studying, or honestly anything related to school he could get away with doing in a group.

You weren't about to object either. Sure, he was kind of loud and annoying and sometimes a bit rude... but he was funny, nerdy, and passionate too. His good traits outweighed his flaws, and besides, he seemed to like you! Noelle had mentioned quietly to you after school once that she figured he had a crush on you. You had been surprised to hear that, but now that she had pointed it out, you did notice just how much he seemed to like you.

And that was why you couldn't work up to courage to ask if he really did have a crush on you.

After all, on the chance he didn't, it would make your friendship really awkward. You really didn't want to harm your closest friendship because of something like that. So you had kept quiet.

"I-I will be assigning the groups!" Alphys said. "S-So you don't need to do that th-thing where you look at each other! It's only fair for the o-other students."

The majority of the room's mood dropped instantly, and yet the teacher didn't seem to notice. Berdly gave you a crushed look, and you returned his gloomy look with a faintly hopeful smile. There still was a chance Ms. Alphys would pair you two together.

"A-Alright, here's the groups!" she said after a moment of quiet, melancholy chatter between the students. She took out a list, adjusted her glasses a bit, then began reading off names. You tuned out most of the names, only really caring to listen for your own. Though you did hear when Noelle was paired with Susie. For some reason, she seemed pretty happy about that.

"Berdly, y-you will go with..." Alphys adjusted her glasses again. "T-Temmie."

"Temmie?!" Berdly cried in defeat, slamming his head and both fists against his desk. It rattled the desk, and his pencil fell off onto the floor. Tem smiled from where she was sitting, a single egg balanced mysteriously on top of her desk. You mouthed an apology to Berdly, but he was too busy mimicking sobbing sounds against his desk to see.

"U-Um, and l-lastly but of course not least," Alphys continued, giving you a little smile when you made eye contact. "That leaves, uh, Y/N a-and... ah... Devon to be p-partners." 

You looked behind you at the guy sitting a couple desks back. He had vibrant pink and yellow fur, long ears that stiffly stuck out backwards on his head, and a clump of white fur around his neck. A round pair of green framed glasses sat on his snout, and he currently held a book between his big clawed mitts. When he met your gaze, he quickly ducked his head down to put his nose in his book.

As Alphys gave you all the go ahead to start on your projects, you got up and took ahold of your chair. Dragging it across the floor, you moved it over to Devon's desk. You sat down on it once it was next to him.