Meeting the Sword Princess

A week in, I'd already gotten settled in, mom has sleeping more than usual, making me worry. I shouldn't be saying this again, but I'm glad she isn't awake as much. The people here have been wanting to spar with me, and I say this as an opportunity to train and get stronger. The twins are receiving a lot more love than before. Everyone absolutely loves them, and constantly comes to my room to see them. I even let them take them for a couple of hours to give me some time off. It's a win-win.

Maple: I was reading a book outside, while the twins were sleeping in a comfy basket. "I guess it's true, you guys only look like angels when you're sleeping." Then out of nowhere, they both smiled in their sleep. I smiled at them.

Riveria: "That's the first time I've seen you smile since you got here." She walked towards me and sat next to me. "How are liking your new life so far?

Maple: I stared at her. "It's... different than what I expected." I closed my book and set it down.

Riveria: "Oh?" She raised a brow "How so?"

Maple: I sighed. "I guess, it's not as joyful as I expected. I never expected to be so calm and... happy." I said the last word rather reluctantly.

Riveria: "You hesitated." She pointed out.

Maple: "You caught me. I think I'm afraid to be happy because something bad always happens." I hugged my knees and made myself small without realizing it.

Riveria: 'He looks like a child.' She pat my head. "You must've been shouldered with the burden of thinking you're the only one who can protect his family. You don't need to be afraid. If something bad happens, just remember" she smiled "You're not alone anymore."

Maple: I widened my eyes in surprise. When I softened them, everything got blurry, and something wet hit my arm. Tears. I was crying. I guess deep down, I wanted to hear those words since I haven't heard them in forever. I wiped my tears and tried to stop myself from crying, but I couldn't. "Sorry," I sniffled "I just had a sudden wave of nostalgia."

Riveria: She pulled me in for a hug. "It's alright. You've been holding it in, haven't you?" She patted my back softly.

Maple: "Hic...hic." I clenched her robe as I continued to cry. I felt like a child. After I settled down, I told her, "You know, in a way, you remind me of my sister. She was just as kind and calm as you."

Riveria: "I've been called a mother in the familia, but never a sister." She looked at me. "You're quite the odd one aren't you?"

Maple: My eyes widened at her words. That's something that my sister would say. She really does remind me of her. I gently smiled as a breeze swept through my hair. "So I've been told."

Riveria: We stared at each other for a moment until Elsie woke up. "I'm going to leave you by yourself now." She got up and walked away.

Maple: "Sure, just leave me to take care of her." I grumbled. I picked her up and she looked towards the castle. When I followed her gaze, the sword princess was standing on the top of the stairs. I couldn't tell if she was staring at me, or the tree. She walked up to me and stood straight.

Ais: "It's nice to meet you, I'm Ais Wallenstein." She bowed and I did the same.

Maple: "Maple, nice to meet you to Ais." I bowed my head. and Elsie squealed and grabbed my hair. "Ow! And this is Elsie."

Elsie: "Aah!" She stretched her arms out towards Ais.

Ais: She tilted her head "Hmm?"

Maple: "She wants you to hold her." I gestured for her to sit down next to me and gave her Elsie.