Chapter 20: The Poisoned Girl

(Y/N)'s POV
Once Wei Xiang and I reached a clearing in the forest, he quickly pulled out a picnic blanket from a hole in the tree.

It was quite peculiar. "Hey, Wei Xiang? We're gonna have a picnic right, because I'm starving" I said while laid out the blanket.

I helped him even out the blanket and soon sat on it. "Yeah, I brought us some sandwiches" he said and took out a basket of sandwiches.

He handed one to me and I happily at it. "This tastes good" I said. "You like it? Im glad I made quite a few" he said and took a bite of his.

"Wait..you made this?" I asked. "Um..ah..yeah" he said, suddenly looking away shyly. "I think you'd be a good sandwich maker" I complimented.

"Heh, only for you" he said and pinched my nose softly. I looked up at the sky and there were a few birds flying around here and perching on some tree branches.

As we were finishing our sandwiches, we heard a loud scream coming from a deeper side of the forest.

"W-What was that?" I asked Wei Xiang. "I don't know, but stay here. Ill go check it out" he said and began to stand up.

"No, dont leave me" I begged a little. "Fine, but stay behind me at all times" he warned.

As we venture deeper into the woods, there lay a weeping young maiden. She appeared to be wearing the castle's uniform so she must be a maid. She was also quite beautiful.

There was also a dead body on the ground. But, it showed no signs of cuts or bruises. "What happened here?" Wei Xiang asked the maid.

"Well, I was walking around the woods to look for berries and I found a dead body of my friend laying in the woods" she said, while weeping.

"Your friend?" Wei Xiang asked. "Yes, she was my friend back at the castle" she said and looked at her dead friend.

Wei Xiang looked closely and found that the girl's lips were blue. "Hmm, she must've been poisoned.." Wei Xiang concluded.

"But, who would do such a thing?" She wept even more. "Ill have to report to some of the guards to dispose the body and keep an eye out around the castle" Wei Xiang whispered to me.

The sky began to redden in color, signalling that it was almost sunset. "What is your name?" Wei Xiang asked.

"Brenda Hopes" she replied. "I see, well, we should head back to the castle before sunset" Wei Xiang said and the three of us began walking back to the castle.

I couldn't help but have a weird feeling about Brenda.

When we reached back to the castle, Wei Xiang said he had stuff to do so I stayed in my room, hoping that it was the safest place to reside in.

A knock came on my door and to my surprise, it was the king itself, wearing the fox mask again.

"A-Ah! Y-Your Majesty!" I stuttered and quickly bowed down. "Stand up properly" he said and I quickly stood up with my hands on the side.

"Please, follow me to the reading room, but I must blindfold you, for the room is a special place" he said.
I quickly nodded in fear of being dead.

He put a black blindfold arpund my head and began guiding me to the so called 'special room'. When we reached there, the temperature there felt slightly colder.

Once he took away my blindfold, I was in a room full of books. "If i may ask, Your Majesty, W-Why did you brimg me here?" I asked.

"Have a seat, first" he said and I sat down. He looked at me and said "I'm sure you've heard of the recent murders, no?".

"Well, there were two murders..that happened all in today" I replied. "Yes, one was stabbed and the other was poisoned" he said.

"Y-Yes" I replied and looked down. "Why do you look so guilty? Are you perhaps the one who murdered them?" He asked.

That question took my breath away and I quickly looked at him in shock. "N-No! I would never do that!" I said.

"I know, you were never there when the crime happened" he said.

"By the way, (Y/N), you may call me Lancelot" he said. "Lancelot?" I asked. "Yes, my name" he replied.

He suddenly pinned me to the back of the chair in such a speed that it was nearly impossible.

"Perhaps you'd like to see my face as well?" He asked. "I..umm" i mumbled, not knowing what to say.

"It is a simple yes or no question" he said and neared his face towards mine.

"Y-Yes, please" I managed to say. "Very well, but you must promise to not speak of my appearance to other residents in the castle, including that guard that seems to be close to you" he said.

"I promise" I said. "Alright then" he said and began to untie the knot of his mask at the back. Once the mask fell, I could not believe my eyes on who it was.