Chapter 8- One Final Night

LONG CHAPTER POG

//

Nightmare teetered on the edge of the bank hub, his eyes raking over the skyline and his gloved hands gripping the lip of the roof. The moon was tucked behind whisky clouds, peeking out once in a while to peer down on the city, most likely in disapproval. A ray of a moonbeam cast itself over Nightmare for a moment, illuminating his tight black shirt and black cargo pants and glinting off his new mask. Not even a second later he was shadowed in darkness again. There was a soft thump and he glanced over to see Wilbur drop down.

"You ready to leave your old life behind?"

"Not really..."

Phil landed behind them, a soft gust of wind hitting Nightmare's back. It was true, he wasn't ready to leave. But he had no other choice, he wasn't going back anytime soon. Nightmare stood, took a few steps back, and took a running leap to the next building. He landed on the balcony and his knees shuddered. Not as bad as the night before, but still jarring.

Wilbur landed beside him, resting a hand on his shoulder to stay upright. Nightmare grabbed his hand, trying to keep them both steady. Wilbur seemed totally fine, and Nightmare felt a twitch of envy. Wilbur's grace made him feel clumsy and slow, especially on nights like these.

"Nightmare, you-"

He slid open the unlocked window and pushed aside the curtains. He slipped into the room and got hit with a blast of nostalgia. Lovejoy posters hung from the walls, Dream's favorite high school band. Stupid art projects and paintings were scattered amonst the walls and shelves. His old wooden dresser sagged in its corner and the not matching oak bed frame was still tucked against the opposite wall. He smiled bitterly and started with the dresser, grabbing anything he would wear on a regular basis. He hadn't been away for long, but it felt like years since he had lived here.

He was just about to start packing up trinkets and such when he heard voices. His breath caught in his throat and he stopped moving. The voices seemed stressed, probably in the kitchen as they floated through the thin door. Nightmare, his curiosity overpowering his common sense, drifted closer to the door and pressed his ear to it.

"-up Sapnap! Just shut up!"

"George please listen-"

"I SAID SHUT UP!" Something shattered and Nightmare flinched. George and Sapnap, fantastic.

"George." Sapnap's voice was quieter, kinder. "It was not your fault, none of this was."

"Not my fault," George snapped back bitterly, his tone venomous. "Sapnap, I told him that I didn't care the night before the incident. I told him to just move on, everyone else did. I ruined him Sap, I made him weak and desperate."

Clothing shuffled and Nightmare could see Sapnap pulling George into a hug. Gently rubbing his back, just like Dream used to when George was stressed. His heart cracked. He wanted to run out and shout that he was okay, that he was back and George was all his again, to hell with the rest of the world. The pain was nearly unbearable.

"You didn't ruin anything George," Sapnap repeated. "You weren't happy in the relationship you had, so you ended it. There's no need to apologize for that."

"I ended it after us though, after those nights together," George said, his voice barely traveling. The words bounced around in Nightmare's brain and his breathing started to get more labored. His chest constricted and his body felt cold with dread as pieces started to click. Sapnap showing up late, George drifting away, bed sheets out of place, all of it. How naive Nightmare had been.