Chapter 3: Degenerated

Start from the beginning

It was said that certain yao who were bestowed a chance by the Heavens could easily cultivate a human form despite having low cultivation. Their abilities didn't differ much from ordinary people, so such yao were very easily mistaken by human cultivators and yao as ordinary humans.

One other possibility was that he was a formidable yao who had already reached a higher realm and returned to his natural state, so no one could see beyond his facade nor sense the yao qi on him.

But... it was impossible for a yaoguai who could only make a living on a construction site to be a formidable yao at the level of a leader in the yao world.

When they first received the report, they had thought that it was a yaoguai causing trouble. But in the end, they realize after investigating the scene that this yaoguai had protected a human at the final moment. The reason why the two of them were here was so that they could give him the money awarded to him for his heroic act. The money wasn't much, but it was still a form of appreciation from the management bureau.

After listening to them explain their purpose for coming, Fu Li happily accepted the prize money of one thousand yuan, stuffed it into his pocket, and even patted it with a hand.

He had finally broken away from the state of being utterly penniless.

"Thank you," Fu Li was all smiles as he thanked the two people. He picked up two apples from the side of the bed and shoved it at them. "Come, have some fruits."

These fruits were delivered by Uncle Zhang's family, who had also paid for the medical bills during the past few days of his hospitalization. Uncle Zhang had even wanted to give him a thank-you fee but was rejected by him. He was a yao who prized education; how could he accept the money that Uncle Zhang had saved for Zhang Peng's school fees?

There was a very good human saying – no matter how poor one was, one could not neglect education; no matter how tough things were, children could not be allowed to suffer.

Zhang Ke didn't accept the apple, but Xu Yuan accepted it with a word of thanks.

"You're welcome," The smile on Fu Li's face was as broad as ever.

Zhang Ke and Xu Yuan didn't intend to spend too much time on a single little yao. After confirming that Fu Li was a harmless yao, they prepared to report back to the bureau. Dragon qi was richest in the capital, thus attracting congregations of yao. With many yaoguai came many weirdos; some became internet celebrities and were then arrested for selling fake facial masks, while some became thieves and even dared to use their yao abilities to escape from the police after being discovered. There were also those who cheated others' feelings and absconded after receiving gifts, those who used confusion techniques to swindle elderly people into buying supplements, those who sold fake medicine, and those who created fake identification. Any kind of illegal means that could be thought of existed. These types of yaoguai were still all right; all they did was scam people of their money without harming them. The most savage were evil yao who murdered humans and yao; such yao had to be put on global wanted lists and would be killed without room for discussion.

The two people had just walked out of the hospital room when they received news from headquarters about the appearance of a heart-devouring yao who had already taken the lives of two people and was currently on the run.

"Damn, did all these yaoguai conspire or what. They know that Captain Zhuang went out of the country recently, so they're all coming out one after another," Zhang Ke looked at the murder scene, an extremely ugly expression on his face. In the current world, there were already not many yaoguai who dared to commit crimes so brazenly.

In the hospital room, Fu Li had gathered together with everyone to watch television. The news was reporting on a murder case that had occurred at a certain location, warning residents to take note of safety when out.