"You mean….She got connections?" A feminine voice exclaimed.

"You see, all other interviews were cancelled today. Of course she got connections." As far as I knew this was the only interview scheduled today. All other interviews were cancelled and I was the only one who came to give the interview. Clearly I was the person being discussed. I pressed my lips together, disappointment seeping in as my mind connected the dots.

"Eat this up." Evan pushed the plate of toast towards me as I was gulping down my coffee.

"I can't. I feel so nervous." I got up from my seat.

"There's nothing to be nervous about." I shook my head at him before running a hand through my hair to check if everything was in place.

"You don't understand. Yes I have experienced this before, I have given interviews before but that doesn't take the nervousness away." He rounded the counter and came to stand right in front of me. He held me by the arms and stared right into my eyes.

"Hey, listen to me. You don't need to be nervous. Trust me. I know that you are going to get the job." Taking in a calming breath, I nodded.

Another voice brought me back.
"That's huge. Must be someone important who made the recommendation." Resentment was clear in the voice of the speaker.

"Duh!" This was what I hated, the disrespect in people towards my career and Evan just subjected me to the clear derision.

Realizing that I couldn't just stand here forever, I straightened up. Walking past them I could feel their eyes on me but I didn't let the confident facade slip off. It was the only way I could get out of here.
…………………….

Evan's POV

Coming in, I saw Brae sitting in front of the television, her eyes solely trained on the screen. I walked behind her and kissed her head only to get no reaction. She was watching this same show for the second time and yet it had all her attention.

"How was your interview?" I asked while going to the kitchen.

"I got the job." I smiled at her answer as I rolled up my sleeves.

"See, I told you. And that calls for a celebration." I poured myself a glass of water.

"You know, Mr. Price offered me the job without even the interview. All it took was just a glance at my resume." I stilled for a second, sensing the suggestion in her voice.

"Your resume must be speaking volumes for you." I'm sure my tone had it all covered.

"I'll tell you something weirder. I heard that all other interviews for the post were cancelled except mine." Could they be any more obvious? Biting the inside of my lower lip, I put the glass down before turning to face her. By now the TV was switched off and I had her complete attention, just as I wanted!

"Brae-" I didn't get to continue.

"Why will you do that?" She looked pissed.

"I didn't do anything." I shrugged casually, God knew why. My cover had already blown off.

"Of course you didn't. Let me guess, you just gave a call and casually let him know that your girlfriend is coming for an interview there, right?" I licked my lips, looking for a suitable response.

"Maybe I did that. What's the big deal?" She crossed her arms against her chest and glared at me.

"It is a big deal and you know that yourself. That is why you hid it from me."

"There's nothing to hide." That wasn't true though. I hid it, not because I thought it was a big deal but because I guessed she would make it one.

"This is why you were so sure that I would get the job, because you knew your influence had done the work." I frowned at her statement.

"That's not true. I knew you would have gotten the job just based on your merit." I truthfully said. It was my honest opinion.

"You don't believe that." Brae shook her head, emphasizing her words.

"Of course I do." She scoffed at that, showing clear disbelief.

"Then you wouldn't have done it. You would have let me try and get the job." I didn't quite understand why this was such a big thing.

"Why are you making this such an issue?" At this as if her control broke loose and she snapped at me.

"Because I don't want you paving my way. This isn't earning it. This is just letting people know that I have a rich influential boyfriend." I smacked my lips in annoyance.

"Is that a problem now, people knowing that I am your boyfriend? I don't understand what's so wrong with this." She sighed out of frustration before taking a deep breath.

"If you seriously don't understand what's wrong with this, there's no point talking. Just know that I'm not taking up this job." I watched as she went inside and closed the door behind her.

So, the thing is I missed updating a chapter (Chapter- 38) and for that I'm really really sorry 😐. Both chapter 38 and 39 are updated. Check out both the chapters and once again sorry for the inconvenience.

 Check out both the chapters and once again sorry for the inconvenience