Chapter- 12

He was shocked when I said that it wasn't his fault and I wasn't angry at him but it was true. I could never be angry at him for whatever he was doing. If I was in his position, maybe I would have behaved more aggressively. It hurts, it hurts so much that we have come to this position where a civil conversation between us was nearly impossible but then it wasn't our fault. It wasn't.

Flashback

"You look so beautiful Sis! You look like a princess." Bri gushed at me as she looked at me through the mirror. I myself was overwhelmed with my final wedding look. It was a pearl white lace dress with a plunging neckline. The hair was done in a beautiful messy updo and my face had neutral makeup.

"I know right?" I smiled widely at her, causing her to laugh.

"I am anticipating Evan's face when he sees you. You will just blow his mind off." She clasped her hands together in excitement.

"Agreed." Both of us turned to look at Kate who just entered, looking beautiful in a blush pink dress. She was a very close friend to Evan and me. I met her in college where she was my senior.

"You are going to take his breath away looking like this." I blushed hard causing them to tease me a bit more.

"Can we talk for a few minutes ?" Kate asked, looking at me. I nodded my head .

"I'll leave you guys to it and go check if everything is ready." Bri closed the door behind her. I looked at Kate's  face for her to speak but she didn't. Instead she handed her phone to me.

"What is it?" I furrowed my eyebrows while she gestured to me to look at the phone.

"Play the video." As I pressed the play button, the video showed Bri standing in a room opposite a man who was seated on a sofa. Suddenly, she rushed towards a chest of drawers and took out a gun. My grip on the phone unknowingly tightened.
I didn't even have the ability to comprehend what happened in the next few minutes. The man tried to convince her, she slowly picked up an envelope from the table and shot him. My hands trembled , my breaths coming out in pants.

"Wh-why will she do it ? Why will she kill someone?" I kept staring at the now paused video. Kate came and took the phone away from me.

"Because your stupid sister had signed a contract with a stripper club and she had to leave with that man that very moment for her job. Of course she didn't want to but had no choice and finally this seemed to be the way out for her." She shrugged her shoulders.

"Why will she sign the contract with a stripper club? I don't believe it." Why on earth will Brae sign to be a stripper?

"Well , what do you think there was in the envelope?" I gulped painfully trying to get a grip of reality. My sister had actually killed someone?

"Is he- is -" I stuttered out of nervousness.

"Dead? No , he is alive." I released the breath that I didn't know I was holding.

"But… " I felt this 'but' wasn't going to do any good.

"He wishes to bring this video to the police and place charges of theft and attempt to murder on Brielle." My eyes widened at that. Charges?

"Don't worry, I know him and I stopped him from doing it." I closed my eyes to control my palpitating heart. Having a friend like Kate was really a matter of luck.

"I will never be able to thank you enough-" My words of gratitude were cut short.

"I expect something in return and that is most definitely not your thanks." Her words sounded harsh and cold.

"What do you want?" I skeptically asked.

"Evan." I was confused, literally extremely confused. What does that even mean?

"What ? What do you mean?" I expressed my confusion.

"What I mean is very simple. You're going to reject him in front of everyone and leave him at the altar." She said without missing a beat while I stared at her wide-eyed. She couldn't be serious!

"This is a joke right?" I tried forcing a smile on my face but she didn't smile back.

"The last thing I want to do now is to joke with you." I couldn't believe my ears. How could she even say that?

"Are you even in your right mind? I won't do it." I spoke once I had recovered from the shock.

"Well, then be ready to see your little sister behind the bars but that apparently doesn't concern you right ?" Sarcasm dripped from her words while I was far from finding anything funny.

"Why are you doing this? Evan is your best friend. Then why are you doing this to him?  Why Kate?" My eyes were stinging with tears.

"Because I love him. I fucking love him but the only girl he ever looks for is you." To say I was shocked at her declaration was an understatement. She loved Evan? From her actions, I could have never made out what she feels for Evan.

"Shocked? That's the truth . I used to love him since our first year in college but he never understood. He never looked at girls and I thought I would give him some time but then you came. You came in and he started behaving like he was under your spell. The way he looked at you, smiled at you; I wanted him to look at me, smile at me like that but he didn't." She snarled at me.

"Because he loves me!" I cried out.

"That's why. That's why I want you to leave him, break him into pieces, hurt him to the extent that he would hate to even think of you." Tears freely rolled down my cheeks at the thought. I couldn't imagine being hated by the man whom I was about to marry, whom I love with every cell in my being.

"Please don't do this, I can't. I really love him. I c-can't do this to him." I choked on my tears.

"Then let your sister rot in jail." The feeling of helplessness was strangling me.

"You leave Evan, your sister is saved . You don't, your sister's life is destroyed forever. You're smart enough to make the right decision." She whispered in my ears before standing up and walking towards the door. For some reason, she stopped and turned back again.

"And one more thing, if Evan learns about this, Bri goes to jail." With that she left the room with every bit of my sanity, my happiness and my chance at a happy life with the man of my dreams.
……………..

"Brae , come on, it's time." I saw the beautiful smile on William's face turn into a frown. He rushed in.

"Were you crying Brae? What happened?" I opened my mouth a few times but no words came out.

"Oh come on Pumpkin, don't be so sad. You aren't flying away to another country. You can always meet your sister, you know? Come on, cheer up now." I kept looking at his jovial face, his eyes full of happiness. It would kill me to hurt all these people who have loved me so much but.....

I had to save this stupid sister of mine.

(Next Chapter: Flashback Continues...)