Chapter - 13

Brae's POV

I had to save this stupid sister of mine.

But what I didn't know was how I was going to do it. I couldn't imagine how hurt Evan would be with this decision. I was torn between the two most important people in my life.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice when I was in front of the door. William linked his hand with mine and passed me an encouraging smile.

The song started playing which was my cue to enter. The gate opened , giving a clear view of the altar. We started walking down the aisle. I saw the smiling faces of all the guests. Amelia stood there with a large smile plastered on her face. My heart broke a bit more each time I saw everyone's happy faces. Everyone was happy except me. The increasing agony in my heart was becoming unbearable and my eyes fell on Kate. She was staring right back at me with a smirk on her face.

When I looked up at Evan's face, I felt a stab of pain in my heart. He had his gorgeous smile on his face, looking directly at me. He looked like he couldn't have been happier in his life. Not being able to look at his face anymore I put my head down and walked to the end of the aisle. Ryan, who was Evan's bestman, passed me a large smile and my eyes finally fell on Bri. She put her thumb up , a wide encouraging smile plastered on her face and at that moment I realised I had to do it. I had to protect her at any cost, be it by sacrificing my own happiness, I had to. I couldn't give up on her for anything. She deserved all the happiness in the world.

William gave my hand in Evan's and patted his shoulder before standing beside his wife.

"Look well after my sister or I will personally hunt you down and have your head."Bri threatened from behind me causing Evan to  give out a chuckle .

"I would always look after her. You have my word." He assured Bri, causing my heart to clench with grief.

I stood opposite Evan, my hands in his. I felt suffocated with the weight on my heart. Evan drew soft patterns on my knuckles to calm me down, most probably noticing my nervousness.

"Dear beloved, we are gathered here today in the sight of God to join this man, and this woman in holy matrimony" My heart started beating at a faster rate as the priest started the ceremony.

"Evan Henry Lewis, have you come here to enter into marriage without coercion, freely and wholeheartedly?" 

"I have." His response was immediate.

"Braelyn Sabella Taylor, have you come here to enter into Marriage without coercion, freely and wholeheartedly?"

The whole church was met with silence. Bri was looking at me with an expectant smile. I looked at Kate , pleading with my eyes to not ruin this for us only to get back an evil smirk as a response. I felt Evan squeeze my hands , a slightly worried expression on his face.

That was it. Now I had to do this. For Bri, for my little sister. For my parents. I had to do this. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath. I'm sorry Evan.

"I-I can't." I let out and the whole church was deadly silent.

"Brae?" Evan's face was morphed into one of confusion. I pulled my hands out of his.

"E-Evan, I c-can't marry you. I am s-sorry." The church broke down into murmurs. I bit my lips to stop myself from crying. Evan came closer, putting his hands forward but I took two steps back. I couldn't bear to be close to him when I had to do it.

"Brae, what happened? Tell me what's bothering you? Whatever it is, we can solve it. Please calm down baby." He tried but this wasn't something we could have solved.