Chapter 5

“I… Uhh… I… Umm… I just… My parents… Umm… College… Uhh…”

Jace didn’t know how to put it, she kept stuttering till Jesse lost interest, yawning, he said, “You know what, if you don’t feel comfortable, forget it, I’m just going back to… *yawn* sleep…”

With that, he dozed off, leaving Jace turning to look at him, blankly with her mouth still opening and closing, finding those words she meant to say.

Finally, after a good 20 minutes of gawping, a hot air-stewardess with heavy make-up came to clear up her table. The cluttering of glasses when they were put together brought Jace back to the airplane. She was sitting in first-class, middle column, right next to Jesse McCartney on the 2nd row. There were only like, 18 seats in first class. It’s amazing how first class was so large, so much larger than Economy-class, the seats are larger with more cushions too. The blankets were probably thicker and the headphones were probably more expensive, but who knows? Jace has never really observed a plane up till now.

The cushions were made of leather, absorbing her heat as well as radiating it, making her feel comfortably warm at where she sat. There was a nice, brown-colored and padded footrest for her. She realized that she could even adjust the distance of the TV screen from herself. The TV screen looked somewhat bigger than the one in the economy class when she glanced over. Everything seemed new and polished. Nothing was broken or torn there, all brandished, garnished or whatever-ished.

She brought the headphones to her ears, noticing the volume button connected to the wire of the headphone. She smiled as the headphones cushioned her ears, leather-made too, she presumed, for it was warm and comfortable, and not torn or with pieces falling off. She bet this was rather expensive. She’d bet everything that belonged in first-class was stupidly expensive. No wonder it costs so much!

She looked over to her right, noticing that Jesse had his chair lowered so that he was almost lying down. She felt the bottom of with her, trying to feel the little gadget that would help lowering the seat. Ah, a sort of handle. She pulled and instantly she felt herself fall backwards. It was shocking, but she’d gotten used to the posture. Her back was straight and the footrest automatically heightened when the chair went back. She smiled, this was definitely comfortable.

Her smile dropped when she looked to her right. Jesse had something with him that she didn’t. He was covered with a brown blanket. She frowned. Where’d he get the blanket? She brought the chair back up and pressed on the button Jesse showed her earlier, the one to call the attendants. A tall, tanned man with almost invisible acne scars came almost instantly, “Anything I can help you with, miss?”

“Yes, please. I want a blanket?” Jace asked.

“Oh, sure, right away,” he went away. Jace counted the seconds to see how efficient he was.

One, two, three, four, five, six… Fourteen, fifteen, sixteen-

“Here’s your blanket, miss,” the same man came back with another brown blanket.

“Thanks,” Jace smiled. The man smiled back and went off.

Jace scrunched her face, why does everything seem… brown?

She looked left and right, no doubt about it. She didn’t really notice it before but the screen before her, the border was actually a very dark shade of brown. The headphones she had on her ears were also brown. The uniforms the air-attendants wore were also brown with some stripey decorations along with the company’s logo.

Sure enough, first-class was quite… brown… But she didn’t want to believe it, so she pressed on the button to call for the air-attendants again to get a pen and paper. The air-stewardess that came to clean up her breakfast attended to her, bringing her a pen with had brown casing and a notebook, which had a brown cover. When she flipped through it, she noticed that it was brown inside as well, only a lighter shade so that when one wrote something in it, it was see-able.