Chapter 36

Tomorrow is a new day.

Recap:

Jesse made spaghetti for dinner, and while having it, he recollected his life and decided that it was time to work on moving on.

Jace, on the other hand, was still worried about how to tell him about her living arrangements with him that would soon come to an end.

**

Jace woke up to the alarm set on her iPhone. It had been ringing for almost half an hour. Jace was determined to actually wake up on her own this time, and almost succeeded too, if she hadn’t clicked snooze. She set it at 6:00am last night before she “died” on her bed. At 6:04am earlier, she’d heard it ringing and she pressed snooze. It was supposed to ring in another 5 minutes and it did, but she slept through the entire ringing for about 20 minutes before her brain registered that she had to get up.

Her body shivered involuntarily when she sat up on her bed to switch off the alarm, she wasn’t used to autumn; it was quite chilly compared to her home country. Normally, she wouldn’t bathe in the mornings before school, but she was still adapting to the climate and she needed to up her body temperature before her sinus kicked in, so she turned on the shower and waited for it to warm up.

She entered the steamy shower and felt her sinus melt away from her nostrils. The warm water made her sleepy again and she wanted to fall asleep in the shower. Her brain wasn’t helping either; it wanted to sleep too. It was sheer willpower that dragged her out from the shower and into the steamy bathroom foyer. She wiped herself dry before wrapping herself up in a towel and leaving the bathroom.

Automatically, she checked her watch. She had always been late for school back in her country, because she was never interested in attending, and also the teachers never bothered, there was no such thing as “detention”. Her watch could give her a rough idea on how late she could be after freshening up. It was 6:47am, she still had time, classes started at 8:00am.

If there was anything great about studying in America, it was everything – from lockers to casual dress codes and free periods. Of course, in her boarding school, there were uniforms; each uniform was tailored by the school’s seamstress. New students had the first weeks dressed in casual clothing before they got their uniforms for all seasons. By the three week, each student must be in uniform.

Today would be her appointment with the seamstress for her measurements, so Jace was rummaging through her brand new closet of clothes looking for an outfit that wouldn’t exaggerate her body size (for better or for worse). She picked out a pair of decent blue jeans and a blue v-neck t-shirt that had fish prints on it. She tried it on and looked at herself in the mirror. She was thinking whether to change into another outfit when she heard a soft knock on the door. “Come in,” she called, still looking at the mirror.

She heard the door knob twist and she turned around, “What do you think?” She asked Jesse who was already awake and dressed (in style, might I add). He was standing by the edge of the door as he entered.

 Jesse took a good, long look at her and had a confused expression, “Is this what kids these days dress in?” He asked, he remembered that his sister would spend hours in the morning, or the night before picking out the perfect outfit for a day at school. She had a tonne of clothes. That was exaggerating a little, Lea did have a fashion sense and she would follow the trend every once in a while. She always looked good. Jace, on the other hand, also, always looked good in anything she picked, but sometimes she wears such mundane clothing it would make a person on coffee patches yawn. Her outfit right now made her look like she was ten. Seriously, fishes??