Chapter 28

Caleb slouched on the couch, frowning deeply.

“Honey, you know we love you and it’s not easy for us to do this.”

His mother, Jane, was trying very hard to make eye contact with her son but wasn’t succeeding in any way. In other words, she was failing, miserably.

“Son, we know it’s been hard on you and we can’t make you decide on which one of us you want to live with, obviously it would be me but your mother…”

Caleb’s father, Henry, was speaking until Jane interjected, shouting, “What do you mean obviously it would be you? You were always so busy that I’d bet you’ve never spent more than 365 days with Caleb since he was born!”

Henry fumed as he glared at his wife, “Me? What about you? You didn’t do any better! You were always on those extra long business trips to Thailand and whatever-land in Asia for at least 6 months and you come back for a day or two and take off!”

Jane screamed to the ceiling then narrowed her eyes at Henry, forgetting the existence of her son. She shrieked, “At least I come back twice a year! You only come back for one week in an entire year! And you don’t even try to bond with Caleb! You’re always drinking with your college buddies and gambling with your old school friends!”

Growling, he shouted, “So I’m the one who doesn’t try to bond with my son? You come back for 2 days every 6 months then you go shopping with your bitchy friends! All you say to Caleb when you come back is, ‘Hi dear, how are you? How was school? Oh, look at the time! I have to go meet my friends.’ You never even wait for him to answer and you leave!”

Jane stood up from her chair and threw the cushion at her husband, screaming, “You didn’t do any better! At least I speak to Caleb when I get back! And don’t you call my friends bitchy, you don’t even know them! You friends are jackasses!!”

Henry rose from his chair so roughly that his chair fell backwards when he stood up so suddenly, yelling back at his wife, “Are you indicating that I don’t speak to my own son? I call him every week to check on him! And I don’t have to know your friends to know that they’re bitches because they hang out with you and only bitchy bitches hang out with other bitchy bitches! And my friends are not jackasses!”

Jane inched closer to Henry as the ground trembled in fear against her anger as she spoke grudgingly, “I’m a bitch now? So now you look at me as a bitch? Do I look like a bitch to you?! You asshole! TAKE IT BACK.”

Henry’s chest was being poked by Jane’s finger. His line of vision focused on the slim finger then back to his wife. He narrowed his eyes down onto hers. She was shorter than him and the way he towered over her made him feel superior, like he was winning. There was a short pause before Henry answered dangerously, “Make me.”

And that was the time he felt a burning sensation on his left cheek.

It all happened so fast that only Caleb, the only witness of the scene took in everything.

Henry and Jane were about to divorce and they both wanted Caleb in their custody. However, their extravagant business trips took them all over the globe, making it hard to stay behind to take care of Caleb.

Caleb had a nanny since he was five. That was the only person who was there most of his life. His parents were too busy to return and spend time with him so his nanny would sometimes take him to her home to have dinner with her family. His nanny was a nice, chubby Spanish lady who loved children to tiny bits and pieces.