Earthy

Y/N POV

This week with my dad has been great. I've done nothing but listen to music, take naps, and even painted some. Dad turned the basement into my own little art studio while I was in high school and it was still set up so I might have spent a lot of time down there. It brought me back down to earth and I feel much more grounded now.

I also got some work done and had a few calls with Lucy and Sam to make sure the shop is doing okay. They told me Rose came to visit and was sad I wasn't there. Which means Scarlett also has been going to the shop. She hasn't tried to contact me though so that's weird. It's fine though since I need a break from her. She causes me too many brain aneurysms.

I haven't left the house, too afraid to be seen and be forced to talk to people. Dad has been amazing at giving me space but also holding me when I need a good cry. He's my best friend and I feel bad for not visiting enough. I left him all alone and I feel horrible about it. If I could even leave the house I might have thought about staying for good. But, I refuse to and that's no way to live so I'll have to go back to my life at some point.

I should probably go back this weekend since it's been almost a week. I know Lucy and Sam can handle the shop but I miss my fur baby and I honestly feel better. I've done a lot of thinking and decided that I will not let Scarlett walk all over me anymore. If she has managed to figured her shit out then we can be friends and everything will be fine. Plus, Flo isn't a factor anymore and that was just a lot to deal with.

I've been texting with Lizzie too here and there since she likes to check in. I sent her some photos of the paintings I've done and she wants to buy them for some reason. I told her I'd just give them to her instead. I also miss Rose and I will admit there were a couple times I almost called Scarlett just to talk to her daughter. I figured that was inappropriate though.

I'm jolted out of my late morning reflection in bed by my phone buzzing with a text. I open it up and my eyebrows shoot up in surprise.

Scar: I know you're taking a break and I hope it's going well, but can you please confirm you're okay?

I sigh and consider my options. Ignore it and take back control of my life, or answer so I don't feel guilty for making her worry.

Me: I'm okay.

I lock my phone and set it back down before snuggling back into my blankets. It's weird being here without Maggie and Mom. I didn't think I'd last this long in the house but something about knowing they used to be here makes it okay. It's comforts me in a weird way. My phone buzzes and I reach over to see what it is.

Scar: Thank you...stay safe

I close out of my messages and decide to book my train ticket back to New York. It's been a nice week home and I feel better after just being with myself and my dad for a while. He's doing okay and I feel better now that I had eyes on him. I worry about him a lot being alone.

The next day, he brings me to the train station a little early knowing it might take me a minute to get in the truck. He gives me a huge bear hug and I smile as I take in the comforting feeling. "You promise to take care of yourself?" I whisper.

"I will be okay. I am okay. This was a gift and I'm so happy that I got this time with you." he whispers back and I grin.

"I'll see you for the holidays." I promise lightly and he beams at me.

"See you then." He confirms and I turn to head onto the train. I text Sam and Lucy so they know I'll be back to the shop tomorrow and Sam can drop off Otis tonight. She's literally the best. I lean my head on the window and end up dozing off in a nice nap. When we arrive in New York I head home and smile when I open the door to Sam and Otis waiting for me.