"Good." Shaugn reached into his sleeve and pulled out a silk coin purse. He stuffed the purse into Shifob's hands and patted his shoulder.

Feeling the weight of the purse, the honest physician's face turned pink. "Your majesty, thi-this is too much."

"Take it. As my thanks."

Shifob dropped to his knees and knocked his head on the floor. Shaugn rolled his eyes. This was too much.

"Get up."

"Thank you, your majesty."

Shaugn watched Kazim escort him out and tidied up his hair. He still had to have lunch with the consorts. His eyes looked over the ingredients in the prescription and smirked. This was just a recipe for a soup as common as water in his own time. With a shrug, he handed it to Akechi. "Give this to Garnet. Tell him to make this for me before bed every night."

"What is it, your majesty?"

"Just a simple soup to promote relaxation and healing."

"I see." Without further delay, she hurried out fo the room leaving Shaugn alone with Radagar.

Shaugn walked over to the desk and pulled out several sheets of paper. "Come out." A black shadow appeared out of thin air and knelt beside the desk.

"What is it the empress commands?"

Folding one of the papers into an origami crane, Shaugn handed it to Rou. "Take this to the temple. Give it to priest Faizan."

"Yes, majesty."

Shaugn tapped his finger on the list in front of him. "Radagar."

"Your majesty?"

"Double the guards in the harem and around the nursery."

Radagar's dark brows raised. "Are we under attack?"

"With the emperor away the rats will crawl out of their holes and try to make trouble. I want to catch them when they try."

"Yes, your majesty." He turned and opened the door to speak to the guard outside. Shaugn crossed off several things written on one of the sheets of paper and looked at the rest of the items on it. Today he started with the harem. Tomorrow he'd start on the court. He needed to make sure he had both under control. Kazim returned not long after with Akechi.

"Your majesty, lunch is almost ready," Akechi announced.

He nodded and put the sheets of paper back in the desk. "Time to show out."

Kazim raised a brow. "What is your goal, majesty?"

"Now that the emperor is gone the consorts will definitely show their true faces."

"All of them?"

"Some of them will stay hidden for now testing things out." He gave a dark smile. "Eventually they will reveal themselves."

****

The consorts were gathered in the sitting room partaking in appetizers and light wine. The air was completely different from the previous gathering when Xoan was present. In one corner Shilian, Sieh, Goren, and Colora – the 4th consort stood close, whispering to each other. From time to time their eyes looked around the room at the other consorts. Iksa, the twins, Maryam, and Afiyah sat on the sofas laughing lightly and enjoying cheese and fruits. By the window, Jazzai was listening to Dane and Malek-the 15th consort. The three were dressed in dark clothing and carried the air of military in their bones. The other consorts were not worthy of mention. Save for one. 

The 10th consort-Torba. She sat on a bench near the wall with her legs crossed neatly. She was immersed in a book with ginkgo leaves painted on the front as if everything going on had nothing to do with her. She was poised and elegant with an aura of refinement.

Shaugn hid his smile behind his fan. He could tell with one look who was using who. He instantly crossed Iksa and the twins off his enemy list. Iksa had a lot of arrogance due to being spoiled by her family but it wasn't something Shaugn couldn't handle. The twins were no threat at all. They put off the air of wanting to just survive living in the harem.

"His majesty the empress arrived."

Everyone turned to him as he stepped in and the room became silent. Some gave their greetings and saluted. A few did not, directly challenging Shaugn's rule. They looked at him with smirks and mocking smiles waiting to see what he was going to do about them. Jazzaia's group glanced coldly at those who didn't. The group sitting at the sofas looked back and forth between the empress and the ones who did not show respect. Torba looked at them with a raised brow.

Shaugn strode forward as if unbothered, a light smile on his face. "Let us eat before the meal is cold. I have things to discuss with you."