Chapter Twenty-Three

Steve sat in his hospital bed, aimlessly flicking through a magazine he couldn't really be bothered investing in. He was severely on edge, his whole body tensed. His enhanced hearing picked up a television a few rooms down, explaining there were reported gun shots at an apartment complex downtown. He recognized the name and quickly reached for the remote to switch on his own screen.

"...there has been reported gun fire at the Alabask Hotel in downtown Brooklyn this afternoon, it appears Iron Man is involved as – oh my! A missile has just been launched from the building and it appears a woman has been flung from the-"

Steve zoned out, watching in horror as YN fell from the high rise. Bile crept up his throat the closer YN got to the ground, his whole being stilled as he helplessly watched. The T.V quickly changed scenes, the sight of YN's falling body vanishing from the screen.

The blonde man sat there, hand gripping the remote tightly. Quickly making up his mind, he jumped out of the bed, tearing the wires from his body. Slipping on his, pretty messed up, suit, Steve raced out the door and past the doctors who were yelling at him to return to bed.

Meanwhile:

YN screamed as she fell, closing her eyes tightly as she readied herself for the impact of hitting the cement. Suddenly, YN felt something wrap around her body and she was being lifted away from the rapidly incoming ground. YN wrapped her own arms around the metal body, not opening her eyes and curling her body in tight.

Tony landed on the street slowly, lowering himself with YN in his arms. "YN?" He murmured, looking down to her as his helmet retracted from his face. "Hey, we're on the ground now." YN didn't move, still holding onto Tony for dear life. "Open your eyes, look." Tony said softly, lowering them both down so that Tony was kneeling as he placed YN onto the cement below.

YN slowly opened her eyes, still not removing her arms. Her eyes were filled with tears, making Tony's heart constrict. "Thank you." The woman whispered, making Tony smile. The older man brought YN into a hug after his suit had folded away, tucking her into his arms tightly.

"Couldn't let you mess up this sidewalk now, could I?" YN smiled tightly, slowly moving her arms to the side of her body and pulling away.

"YN!" Sam shouted, racing to her side as she stood up on wobbly legs. "Oh my God." Sam whispered, gripping her shoulders and pulling her in tight. "I thought, oh my- I thought." YN nodded, pressing her face into Sam's chest.

Bucky and Natasha arrived as YN was pulling away from Sam, the taller man not moving his hands away from her arms. YN's legs were shaking as well as her hands, her teeth chattering in shock. Ambulances were blaring in the background, YN's ears only just hearing the muffled noises over the ringing in her ears. Although, YN soon picked up on a hysterical voice screaming her name, the sound making the young woman look around through the crowd to source its owner.

"Get out of my way! YN!" YN's eyes shot to where Steve was pushing through the crowd to get to her. As he did, YN let out a gasp, falling into his arms as he wrapped them around her. "YN, you- I-" YN shushed him, shaking her head as she nuzzled into his arms.

"Tony got me." She whispered, grabbing onto Steve's suit and pushing her body as close to him as possible. "Tony saved me."

Steve looked over to Tony, who was bashfully rubbing the back of his neck. "Thank you, Tony." Tony shrugged with a nod. "Do you need a hospital?" YN shook her head, her body still trembling from shock.

YN turned in Steve's embrace, looking over to Natasha. "Is Rumlow taken care of?" Natasha smiled, nodding her head.

"Went up with the missile as planned." YN nodded her own head, looking back up to Steve.