Chapter 9: Behind the Locked Door

Start from the beginning

"Keep watch for what?"

"Filch," said Rowan. "The teachers. The prefects. Merula Snyde."

Ben shuddered, looking over his shoulder in the direction of the Slytherin table, where Merula was sitting between a girl with glasses so large and round that they made her look almost like an insect, and a lank-haired, sallow-skinned girl who could have been Professor Snape's long-lost daughter.

"Don't look so scared, Ben," Penny smiled. "Tonks and I are going to make sure that the teachers and Mr Filch stay well out of the way."

"How?"

"Rowan's got a plan for that, too."

"Well, I was thinking that the last Quidditch match of the year is on the second-to-last Saturday in May," Rowan said. "The whole school will be watching, even the teachers. We just need to make sure Mr Filch is there, too."

"Something tells me that Filch probably isn't a big Quidditch fan," said Artemis. "He's not a fan of much, is he? I guess you'll need to make a big mess for him to clear up."

"Exactly," Rowan nodded. "Professor Sprout has a Mimbulus Mimbletonia in Greenhouse Five. They make this horrible smelling liquid called Stinksap. If Penny keeps Sprout busy, Tonks can go in and take the plant and put it somewhere in the stands..."

"Or, even better," Tonks sniggered, "the Gryffindor changing rooms."

"Yes, there will do," said Rowan, and Ben made a face. "It will make a mess that Filch will have to clean up, and that will keep him busy while the teachers are watching the game."

"See, Ben?" Artemis said. "It will all be fine."

Ben sighed, but nodded his head.

"Okay, I'll help you sneak past that door," he said. "But only because you're my friend, Artemis."

"I'm so proud of all of you," said Tonks, grinning from ear to ear. "You're all giving me a run for my money. You know, I'm going to have to really up my game if I want to keep my reputation as the troublemaker of our year."

The penultimate Saturday of May came around quicker than expected. At breakfast, Penny walked over to Professor Sprout at the teacher's table.

"Professor Sprout, I have a few questions about the homework you set on Thursday," Artemis heard her say.

"Wish me luck," said Tonks, winking at Artemis and Rowan as she rose from her seat at the Hufflepuff table.

Artemis watched Tonks walk out of the Great Hall, and beckoned Ben over from the Gryffindor table.

"Are you still happy to help us?" She asked him. He looked very pale and nervous. "It's okay if you don't want to."

"I wouldn't say I'm happy," Ben said, "but I do want to help you. You helped me with flying and with Merula, so it's only fair."

"Thank you, Ben," Artemis smiled. "The Quidditch match starts at around eleven, so once everyone goes out to the stands, we'll meet you at the Grand Staircase."

So, at eleven o'clock, while the rest of the school was waiting in the Quidditch stands, Artemis, Rowan and Ben were walking up to the fifth floor of the castle.

"Is it just me," said Rowan, shivering, "or is it cold up here?"

Artemis nodded. It was cold on the fifth floor. She'd never noticed that before. As they turned the corner and entered the forbidden corridor, it got even colder. By the time they got to the locked door, all three of them were wishing they'd worn jumpers.