The Glorious Sun Summoner

Start from the beginning

        "I suppose I should get you back to get ready for the wedding."

        "What do you mean? The wedding is still three days away," I ask him perplexed.

        "The wedding is today." I stare at him in disbelief. I was in the room for two days? It seemed like I was only there for a few hours.

        I am marrying the Darkling today... and for the first time, I felt nervous about what is to come. Marriage to the Darkling, becoming the royal figure that I only read about in the orphanage. It is all so overwhelming, but as I look into the Darkling's slate-grey eyes, all of the doubt disappears and I am left with surety.

***

        Aleksander puts a hand on my back to support my shaky legs while we walk back to the palace. Inside, there are Grisha, guards, and servants rushing around in every direction. The Grand Palace is flooded with ambassadors and foreign diplomats that are staying for the wedding. They all part a path when they see us walk in.

        I now realize that I am very underdressed. I am still wearing my robe and silk nightgown from when I went to find Nikolai. The well-dressed crowd stares at me. Some even whisper and chuckle.

        The Darkling part ways, leaving me to walk down the corridor to my bedroom. As I enter, I am surprised to be met with an injured Genya standing near my bed. Her eye is black and purple. There is also a large cut starting from her eyebrow and stopping at her chin. I notice large abrasions and bruises spread across her body as well as her unhealthily skinny appearance.

        "Genya!" I gasp before running to her and leading her to a velvet armchair to sit down. I run to the bathroom to get a damp towel. Her face is nonetheless bloody and cut open.

        "What happened? Did the Darkling do this?" I ask as I dab her face with the wet cloth.

        Her voice is weak and goes in and out as she speaks, possibly from screaming in pain, but I try not to think about that. "I was taken to a private room where I was interrogated," she laughs bitterly. "That's the word they called it, 'interrogated'. Their version of questioning is seeking the answer they desire. If you answer wrong, they force the right one out of you."

        "You're safe now, that is all that matters. It's over," I reassure her.

        "No, Alina. That is the problem. It is over. I tried to fight for as long as I could, but I couldn't take the pain anymore. The Darkling was there. He watched as I was sliced into and screaming until my voice was raw. He watched me suffer with a cold stare until I finally told him what he wanted."

        "What did you tell him, Genya?"

        "He recognized I was not supposed to be at the Grand Palace during your escape, but I knew the entirety of the plan. I knew all of it, including where the army was planning to meet with you after your escape. I'm sorry, Alina. I'm so sorry." A tear runs down her once-flawless face.

        I feel sick. The Darkling is going to find my army and kill every one of them as punishment for me trying to escape. I need to find a way to warn Zoya. If they can move north, cross the border, and enter southern Fjerda, they should be safe.

        How can I warn them? The Darkling has most likely sent his soldiers out to find them as soon as Genya told him.

        "Genya, do you know of any Grisha in the palace who are loyal to me and willing to help me?"