SEVEN

Patrick went to the kitchen for a snack. Opening the fridge, he was positive that Bobby had eaten his sandwich again but to his surprise he found it right where he had left it. He grabbed it and went up to Alana's room.

"Hey Alana." He said walking into her room.

Alana sat on her bed typing on her computer. "Can't you knock?" Alana slid her headphones off her ears onto her neck.

"Where are mom and Bobby?"

"They're at the hospital. Mom sent a text saying that he had gotten sick at school."

"Oh." He scanned her room which was a lot different than he'd remembered.

"Anything else you need?" she snapped.

"Alana," he started unsure of how to ask her. "What happened to you?"

She glared him angrily. "What do you care?"

"I care. I care about the girl who used to chase butterflies turned into the girl who chases people away."

Alana jumped off her bed. "I'm not talking to you about this!"

"Ok. But you should talk to someone." he said calmly. "Let me know if you want anything for dinner." He left her room and Alana slammed her door behind him. Going to his room, Patrick sat at his desk, pulled out his notebook and pen, and wrote at the top:

A PERSON WHO HAS MADE AN INFLUENCE IN MY LIFE

Patrick suddenly stopped and thought. Who had made an influence on his life? To say his mom or dad would've been an understatement. He put down his pen and reached into his backpack for the diary.

July 10th

Dear Diary,

Tonight, as the Lantleys ate supper, there was a different topic of conversation. Turns out that Mrs. Lantley, despite her selfish ways, had a child named Cole. None of the servants had ever said anything about them having a son. Mr. Lantley put him into a finishing school, which is where he stayed until the summer. I am familiar with this event when girls at the academy returned home for a visit. I never did though.

Before Cole arrived, I had to make up his room. I asked Milly what Cole was like and she just laughed and told me that Id find out soon enough.

Well the next morning, as soon as he arrived, I found out he was a horrible monster of a child! He cant be a day over nine years of age but he runs about ordering servants around and making a mess of things, including his room I spent time preparing! I watched as he jumped on the bed, knocked lamps over, and threw his toys every which way.

Now I have a confession. Its not in my nature to hold my tongue. In fact, do you know the saying, if you dont have anything nice to say? Well, it doesnt apply to me. I have to speak up. And soI did.

I yelled at Cole and told him that he was a selfish brat and deserved to be spanked and I had half a mind to do so. And gosh o mighty, do you know what he did? Cole ran up to me and hugged me. With his little arms around my waist he held me tightly and started to cry.

I sat him on his bed and I asked him why he was crying. Cole told me that he was surprised that someone had yelled at him. He said usually he just ran around and did as he pleased. For once he was delighted someone had stood up to him. We started talking and he helped me put his room back together. Afterwards I made him a snack and we talked for the rest of the afternoon. Thats when he told me something I was not expecting to hear.

Cole informed me that he couldnt read! He explained how teachers at his school didnt seem to notice, and they only taught what he was required to learn. His parents were no help either; they could care less if he could or couldnt read. So I promised to teach him. I am only twelve but Im a good reader. I love books.

After supper we went into the parlor and he begged me to play the piano. I told him I couldnt play it with his parents in the house. But when he informed me that they had gone out to a party for the night, Milly came in and also begged me to play. At first, I was a little rusty but as I kept playing, I began to remember all the keys and notes. I knew one song by heart, so I just played it by heart. As I hit the last key they clapped.

Seconds later we heard, Mr. and Mrs. Lantley return home. Milly, Sara, and I quick scattered away as Mr. Lantley came in to find Cole beside the piano. Knowing that his son didnt play he stated, Thats strange. I couldve sworn I heard music.

I cannot say how badly I wanted to laugh from the other room.

Sincerely Maggie

The phone interrupted Patrick's reading. "Hello?"

"Hi sweetie."

"Hi mom. How's Bobby?"

"Uh, he's not too good. The nurses keep doing all sorts of tests on him and I can't think straight." Sandra's voice cracked.

"So how long do you think they're going to keep him?"

"Couple more days maybe, a week at the most. But you can make some turkey or meatloaf if you and Alana get hungry."

"Alright."

"Are you going to come down here soon or are you too busy?"

He scratched his head. He still needed to rehearse. "I'll come tomorrow."

Sandra sighed and he could hear the disappointment in her voice. "Patrick, you know he wants to see you."

"I said I'll come tomorrow mom. I've got too much work to do."

She wasn't in the mood to argue. "Okay. Bye."

Patrick hung up and turned to the next page in the book.

July 27th

Dear Diary,

I'm writing right now from a place I truly don't want to be in.

The last few weeks I've not only been working but teaching. As I performed my chores Cole would be beside me practicing the sounds of letters. If he got stuck, I would make the sound of the letter and he would mimic.

One day Milly was talking to me about whether or not she should put me back in school. Cole ran in with his book and kept pressing me to read to him. But I wasn't in the mood to practice. My mind was on returning to school. I truly didn't want to go back. Cole pulled on my arm and I just snapped. I yelled at him to leave me alone and he ran from the room. I didn't think anything of it until a moment later when I heard another maid scream.

I ran outside to see Cole lying on the ground. The maid kept screaming that he fell out of the tree. I held him in my arms and Milly called for help.

So here I am in the hospital, hoping and praying that he'll pull through. I don't know what I'd do if he doesn't. I never had a sibling, but Cole is the closest thing to a brother that I have. When his parents finally arrive though, they'll fire me. I'll never see Cole again.

Oh, please let that little boy live.

Sincerely Maggie