SIX

Patrick rubbed his eyes and looked down at his watch. He knew he had missed dinner. He had heard his mother call for him several times, but he had ignored her every time. The book had drawn him in and he was hooked. But he was also hungry. Patrick went to the kitchen to see if his mom had left him a plate. As he turned on the lights, he saw his dad placing a pizza box on the table.

His dad clutched his chest and jumped back. "Oh! It's you. Hello son."

"Hey dad. Pizza?" Patrick pointed to the box.

Mr. Wells, Evan shrugged his shoulders. "Yes. I brought it in case there weren't any leftovers. I didn't want to go to bed hungry again. Know what I mean?"

"Yeah." Patrick opened the box to find a sausage and mushroom pizza, his dads favorite. He reached in and took a slice.

"Up doing homework this late at night?"

He shook his head and answered with his mouth full. "Reading."

"Oh." Evan nodded. "Did you practice your saxophone today?"

"Yeah. A little at school. I got a solo in the Fall Concert."

"That's great son. Um, when is the concert again?"

"A week from Friday."

"Oh. Well, I'll try my best to make it. Uh, do you need me to sign something or did your mother already do it?"

Patrick chewed as he took a folded paper out of his pocket. "She said give it to you."

Evan took out a pen and signed his name. "Did she say anything to you?"

Patrick took another slice and walked out of the kitchen. "Mom never says anything."

~

"Tyler, did you catch the game last night? I missed it." Patrick told Tyler as they walked home from school the following afternoon. But Tylers mind seemed to be elsewhere. "Tyler!" Patrick shouted.

Tyler snapped out of it and turned to him. "Uh? Oh! What?"

"What's with you today?"

"Oh, I don't know man. I keep thinking about Callie."

"Callie? The new girl?"

"Yeah, I've got art with her and today she made this great sculpture. I've talked to her a couple of times. Or at least, I try to. I used my Tyler Charm on her you know?"

"The one you use on every girl you meet?"

"Exactly! And she turned me down! Twice!" Tyler vented.

"Wow." His mouth flew open and his dark eyes widened in shock. "No girl at this school has ever turned you down."

"I know! And its driving me crazy! I've been trying to get her out of my mind, but I can't!"

"Maybe that's why you really like her."

Tyler stopped walking and thought. After a few minutes he nodded. "Maybe I do. How could I not like her? She's tall, pretty, and she has a great smile..."

Then Patrick's phone rang. He retrieved it from his pocket and answered. "Hello?"

"Hey Patty Poo!" Nadine yelled. "Don't forget to get me something nice for Friday okay? I know its your big night but I want to look drop dead gorgeous! So a nice bracelet or ring will do. Okay? Bye!"

Patrick hung up and grunted annoyingly. "And she doesnt do that." Tyler told him.

"Let's stop by the store. I gotta get something for Nadine for Friday."

"Why do you have to buy her something if it's your concert?"

Patrick shrugged. "She wants to look nice."

"Man, you need to stop playing Nadine's games and dump her like I told you to."