ONE

Music was the only thing Patrick Wells truly knew.

Notes, tones, pitch; the endless hours of practice, the sold-out concerts; those were things he knew about. When he was onstage, at first hed be nervous, but once he started playing his saxophone he became calm and his nervousness vanished away. His life at home though was another story. Being at home, brought new challenges Patrick couldnt seem to overcome.

His parents were almost nonexistent. They hardly spoke to each other. They didnt even look at each other anymore. Patricks dad, Evan Wells had a falling out with his mom a few years back and while he was apologetic, no amount of begging or apologizes could keep his mom, Sandra Wells from moving into her own room in the house. Sandra didnt believe in divorce, so she agreed to forgive him and let her husband continue to stay in the house.

At first, the two communicated with just small simple conversation, usually conversation about the kids. Then it became a daily quick hello or goodbye. Now there was no communication and everyday was the same routine. The only time Evan and Sandra crossed paths was during breakfast and dinner when they made the family sit and eat together at the kitchen table. Even at family meals, there was very little eye contact between the two of them. It made every meal uncomfortable for Patrick and his siblings.

Patricks younger sister, Alana, was worse to be around though. Alana was once a sweet, bright-eyed girl. She loved butterflies and strawberries and wore bright colored headbands in her strawberry blonde hair. But that all changed once she started middle school. Now her hair was dyed jet-black, her wardrobe only consisted of black and other dark clothes and read depressing poetry and played depressing sad break up music. Patrick could barely talk to Alana without her saying something negative.

His younger brother Bobby was just as annoying. When he wasnt at various doctors appointments or sick in the hospital, he was mimicking Patricks every move. Bobby had severe allergies and in his short nine years of life, the family learned that he was allergic to all types of fish, peanuts, fur, and other certain types of fabric. But when Bobby wasnt ill, he acted like Patricks clone. It was cute at first having Bobby talk and dress like Patrick but now Patrick found it was beyond irritating.

The only place Patrick truly felt comfortable was at school. Apparently, a musician was just as popular as being a jock. His best friend, Tyler was a jock on the football team and despite being glued to the bench for every game, he was still popular. Together they were the kings of their school.

Tyler could have his pick of any girl, which is why he usually kept two or three on his arm. Patrick on the other hand only had one girl, his girlfriend Nadine. Although Nadine was tall and pretty, most people, including Tyler and Patricks family, found her to be a nuisance. Nadine favorite person was herself and it was the sole topic of all her conversations. But Patrick was determined not to let his relationship with Nadine end up like his parents.