10;; Kittens & puppies

✩ ✩ ✩

"I was wondering what took you so long?" Riki bumped his shoulder against Jakes, eyebrows furrowing but his playful grin destroyed any anger in his tone. He chuckles awkwardly before his relaxed expression soon turned frantic with panic.

"Hey, Riki," Jake suddenly calls out, fumbling around for his phone, "What time is it?"

"It's almost 4:30, oh-" Both of their expressions drop at the realisation, Jake completely flipping out at this point as the blonde attempted to calm him down.

"I need to get to the animal sanctuary right now, like right now!" He holds Riki by both his shoulders and shakes him as he freaks out. He mutters out in frustration to himself before abruptly letting go of the younger and walking at a quick pace, "You don't mind going home by yourself – do you?" he flashes him a weak smile.

"But weren't we supposed to the matchmaking today and besides, I don't want to stay home alone again," He adds on, joining Jake's side.

"My parents are home today – you won't be alone," Riki is unsure of how to respond, the weird feeling bubbling in his stomach as he inconspicuously shakes his head, eyes following his feet, "You still don't want to – do you?" he chuckles.

"...no,"

He throws an arm over Riki's shoulder, his worries drowning under their conversation, "You coulda just said you wanted to come along," He teases which makes Riki blush.

"So, um... can I?" Riki looks up with twinkling doe eyes.

"Sure," Jake glances down at Riki's wrist, his watch gently sparkling under the sun, "but you're gonna have to run!" and before Riki can register what's going on, Jake's dragging him by the wrist.

✩ ✩ ✩  

Riki's eyes fall down to his red wrist, slowly looking up at the large glass double doors that Jake pushes open nonchalantly. He watches carefully as his features light up into a sweet smile and follow Jake as he greets all the animals. Riki tries to recall any memory of the foreign place which seems slightly familiar the more he looks around.

"You've been here before, right?" He glances over his shoulder, Riki shrugging in response.

"Mm, it seems familiar, but It's been a long time," He rubs the back of his nape as a soft chuckle leaves his parted lips while Jake kneels down to pet all the animals huddling around him.

"Wow, I didn't realise the last time I brought you here was like two years ago or something," He carefully slipped into the kennel Jake was in and knelt down to pet one of the dogs, smiling foolishly at the contact.

"Didn't you get Bisco from here?" He quickly looks over at Riki before gently running his fingers through the poodle's fur.

He nods slowly, "Mhm, but after that, I guess I was too obsessed with Bisco to come back for any of the other pets," he tickles the puppy's ear with a subconscious smile.

Jake shakes his head at the statement before averting his full attention back to the poodle that had jumped onto his lap, picking up the dog and settling it on his lap. He mutters silently to the fluffy dog who graciously takes a couple of treats from the palm of his hand.